Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Over-compensation

Sometimes I get a little tired of being home. Especially during the winter when we are all cooped up inside, which means the kids are all at each other's throats.

Last weekend was particularly bad. The kids felt well enough, but all had the cough from, well, you know where. We couldn't leave the house because of the nasty coughing, I went to church alone, they missed a day of school, and yet we had none of the benefits of being home with sick kids. Kids that are lethargic and ill you feel sorry for, kids that are full of energy while ill...not so much. Needless to say we (maybe I shouldn't speak for the rest of my family so I'll say I) barely survived last weekend.

I knew a 3 day weekend was coming and so in order to ensure we avoided having a minute of boredom(fighting), I planned my little heart out. We were able to do the following, (Even though Ains woke up puking Friday night. Bad mom? Possibly. But there was no way I was staying home with sick kids again.)
  • went swimming (courtesy of free swimming at my gym :)
  • ordered pizza (courtesy of John's employer)
  • played at friends houses
  • had friends at our house
  • made pizza (courtesy of John's culinary skills)
  • played laser tag (courtesy of gift certificates the kids earned at school :)
  • ate left-over pizza (courtesy of mom's culinary skills)
  • went birthday shopping
  • went baptism dress shopping
  • Ains had a birthday dinner with Grandma and Grandpa Welch
  • I worked
  • John worked
  • Owen and John weren't sick of pizza so they went to Costco for more pizza (courtesy of Owen and John's iron stomachs with the ability to comsume incredible ammounts of pizza)

It was a fun, pizza filled weekend. And I didn't feel like strangling my children at the end of it.

And I also took 3 kids to stake conference by myself. I'm pretty sure I get an award for that. I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

6 comments:

shellydinger said...

Super mom! That sounds like something I need to do. But the most amazing thing of all was the Stake Conference bit - I'm pretty sure you will go straight to heaven for that one.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm totally in the mood for pizza . . . . . :)

And winter days almost kill me too. By the end of each day my kids are bouncing off the walls. They really need outside time. Dang winter.

kt

Kohl said...

Two words for you...SUPER Mom!
(Now will you do it all for my kids too) :)

Elizabeth said...

I don't even dare do sacrament meeting alone with one kid -- you are amazing!!!!!!! and I hate winter -- all the neighbor kids are sick and davis and i are stir crazy!!!

Dancing Queen said...

A-maz-ing! Stake Conference alone is not so easy. Way to get out and go. (I love how you did stuff for free!)

Sheri said...

Can I send my kids to your place for the winter? And seriously - you're making the rest of us look bad by taking the kids to Stake Conference by yourself. I'm having a hard to making it through the sacrament portion of regular church by myself! =)