Monday, February 1, 2016

Owen's School Ski Night

Owen has been waiting for years to be old enough to go up to Bogus for the school's ski night.  And this was his year!

The kids get a lesson and gear rental with their ski night package.  This was his second time skiing so I signed him up for an intermediate class since he did so well last time.  While he took his lesson I went skiing with some friends.  There were 4 of us...2 were good skiers and 2 were very beginners. 
This is Mandy and I ^ We are the beginners.  They convinced us to go down this "really easy" blue run for our first run, instead of warming up on some easier hills. And so we did.  Mandy did pretty well and only fell a couple of times.  I, on the other hand, struggled the. whole. way. down.  I was dripping sweat by the bottom and my legs were shaking.  I think I fell 5 times.  A few of them pretty hard.  One into a boundary surrounding a pond.  And another one such that I was sliding headfirst down the mountain and ended up with snowpants full of snow.  It was lovely. I still can't decide it I want to work at it and become a better skier or just declare myself a green run girl for the rest of my life.  After the sore neck I had for 3 days afterward I'm starting to lean toward being a green run girl.

Anyways, after that rough run I came back to check in on Owen.  I noticed that his teacher was taking his class away from the bunny hill to try a slightly harder run. The aptly named "sunshine" I couldn't believe it!  He was headed toward a run I had done before so Mandy and I decided to follow so that I could spy on him.

He did amazing!  I was so proud!  He was going down the same run I got stuck on last year and he got down it without falling once! I snapped this picture of him while his instructor was helping some other kids.
What a stud!  Later that night I saw Owen attempting to go down a blue run. I assumed he was with his instructor still.  So I followed... After I stood at the top for a while and worked up some courage. It was steep!!!

I made it half way down and then got to a point that made me nervous so I just skied off to the side and sat down to try to figure out how I was going to get myself down.  When I looked across the hill and noticed a familiar face across the mountain. I called out to Owen...we were stuck in the same place!  He, however, got his skis back on and got down the bottom of the hill more easily than I did.  But we did it!

After a break for dinner we met up with Dan and Bria and Bailey who decided to come up with us for the night too. We took them over to Sunshine.  The kids and Dan did great!  I was so impressed! They loved it and we did that run four times in a row.  And I only fell one more time because....I don't know why...it's just what I do.  They have now all surpassed my skill level.  Which isn't much, but they did it in 2 days of skiing!

No comments: