Tuesday, September 25, 2018

September 25, 2018

Last week John left us for a few days and headed off to a conference in Orlando.  While he was there he stayed in a fancy hotel connected to Universal studios.  I’m sure he did some learning but mostly I heard about his shopping at Disney outlets.  He came home with all sorts of pins for the kids.  The last time we were in Disney land John and the kids took up the hobby of pin trading.  John is a collector.  And I have a suspicion that he plots to get our kids into collecting things with him.  And with the Disney pins it worked and they’re all hooked.  The rumor is that the next time we’re in Disneyland my job is to carry around the worthless trading pins.  I haven’t been sold on the pin trading just yet.

I booked my  flight to Cabo!  Kortney and I are vacationing with my parents again. But this time at their time share in Mexico instead of New England.  I have a feeling that trip to New England will remain my all time favorite vacation…but  I’m still totally excited to get out of town!

I’ve been working extra hours at the library recently as well.  At Lowell Scott Middle school there is the head librarian (we got a new one this year), a full time assistant, and a part time assistant.  I’m at the bottom of the totem pole and only work 15 hours a week normally.  But last week our full time assistant left the library to be the head secretary.  All of a sudden I was the most senior member of the library staff!  Hopefully someone is hired soon.  Until then, I’ll be working extra hours to keep up with some of the day to day tasks.

Funny story about Owen this week.  Somehow I usually don’t hear Owen’s alarm when it goes off in the morning.  I guess I’m either asleep, at the gym, or far away from his room.  But the other day I heard his Alexa wake him up by telling him the weather forecast and then saying, “you’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and gosh darn it…people like you.”  I started laughing so hard!  I loved the flashback to 90’s Saturday Night Live.  Apparently John had set that up.  I thought it was hilarious.

Owen and I finally finished the refinishing of our barstools as well.  They look awesome.  Unfortunately they don’t match my cabinets.  So now we have to redo our kitchen countertops, backsplash, and add some bead board.  Or I guess we could just go buy bar stools. But I feel like we’ve put so much work into them that we can’t just abandon them at this point.  John is curious as to where we will come up with the money for the remodel.  I think John has little faith.

Ainsley is busy, busy, busy.  Between school, young women’s, piano, swim team, homework, and her weekly job tutoring a neighbor girl she’s always busy doing something. We’ve started watching Gilmore Girls together.  This was the show that I started when John was in law school.  I looked forward to it every week.  It holds a special place in my heart.  And I made her wait to watch it until she was close to the age of Rory.  Kind of because I thought she would relate to her character.  She only gets to watch the high-school years now.  And has to wait until she’s a junior or senior to watch the college years.  It’s been fun to have a show to watch together.  And I kind of like that is will be a slow process because we only have time to watch one or two episodes a week.

I’m a little worried about Emmie right now.  Although  not sure if I actually should be or not.  She brought home results from her state IRI year saying that she was below grade level in reading.  Just barely.  The state has a new test this year that is online.  Emmie claims she was confused during part of the test. And her teacher let me know that it was her spelling portion that was below grade level. Her teacher also reassured me that she is not concerned at all and that Emmie is one of the top performers in class.  Emmie scores well above grade level last spring so this is a complete shock!  And I’m not sure how to increase her spelling score.  But until she gets it up she has to receive extra reading instruction at school. Which I don’t like at all.  The kids are tested every month (which I don’t like either) so I’m hopeful that she’ll perform better next time and we can be done with this.

No comments: