Wednesday, November 20, 2019

November 17,2019

There were no earth shattering activities in the last two weeks, so I’ll write about the ins and outs of our everyday lives.

Ains is taking a debate class this year and is really enjoying it.  She went to her first debate competition this last weekend.  She competed in the individual novice division.  She won 3 out of 4 of her debates! She only lost her very first debate that morning.  And according to her feedback she only lost because she said “um” too many times.  I think that record is pretty phenomenal. And she came home happy and excited which is great!


While Ains was at debate Owen was with the youth raking leaves.  I’m always thrilled when he has something physical to keep him busy.  He’s been hanging out with a boy that lives in our neighborhood a lot lately.  Logan Stimpson and Owen have had an on again/off again friendship for the last decade.  Logan is a really kind and good kid so I’m happy they’ve decided to do things together again. They even got together this week to do homework. Owen has had a knack for getting into trouble lately.  I guess I can partly blame that on the fact that he’s a 13 year old boy.  His grades are lower than they should be right now and he seems to have a bit of apathy about things John and I wish he would care more about. He is very determined when he decides he wants something, but if it’s not his idea he simply doesn’t care. Hopefully it’s just a phase! He assures us regularly that he knows what he’s doing and that he has everything big under control. Fingers crossed.

The last week was a pretty crazy one for John and I.  John has been in the middle of a big trial and I got surgery on my veins. Again. It seems like about every 10 years they start bothering me enough that I decide to do something about them. Getting this surgery has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. We have a new insurance company with some crazy stipulations for vein surgery.  So after 8 months of the HR at ada county, my doctor, and myself, dealing with promises of coverages and also declined coverage we ultimately won. And apparently I’m a trail blazer,  because what was originally just going to be an individual exception on my policy, is now changed policy for everyone on the Ada County plan.  I’m sure varicose vein sufferers within a 10 mile radius are hailing my name. Right? I picked a poor time to get the surgery because John was busy and my parents were out of town.  So I had to bum a ride off of Brooke to my surgery and then I took care of myself.  I think I did a pretty good job.  I’m still sore and bruised a week later but hopefully within another week I’ll be as good as new.

Anyways, between John always being at work and in trial (which he won...yay John!) and me being completely useless, the kids pretty much had to fend for themselves. They did a fairly decent job of keeping themselves busy and getting themselves where they needed to be. Well done children!


We spent time on Sunday watching the Face to face event giving details about the new youth program. I’m excited for my kids! I think that if they put some thought and effort into it they will be amazed at how they will grow and develop in each of the four developmental categories.  I’d like to have a night where they each write out some goals on some sort of a board to get their minds flowing. I’m a little sad to not be in primary or Young Women’s to see how this new program will be implemented, and yet I’m glad I don’t have to go to all the meetings and figure out how to implement it!

And last but not least....a quote from president Eyring from the last women’s conference that I’ve been thinking about. I’ve been thinking a lot about priorities and making sure mine are in order.

No comments: