Friday, December 23, 2011

A glimpse of our December...

Since I've been a slacker blogger lately, and I didn't want the month to pass being completely undocumented, here's a few of the month's highlights. All in one post!
After Thanksgiving I had a vision of my family sitting around the table on cold December nights working on a puzzle together. It was very picturesque. So the kids and I searched for a Christmas puzzle and a board to store it on since we would have to store it under our couch. We (I) opted for the 1000 piece puzzle because I wanted it to last all month. Here we are on the 24th, and this is our progress. And it was way too hard for the kids. So this is mine and John's progress (with significant help from my friend Brooke. And I'm not even sure I like puzzles. Now to decide whether to take it apart and try it another year, or keep working on it all year. Puzzle during crazy Christmas time=not such a good idea for non-puzzle lovers like ourselves :)
Ainsley really wanted to join the ward choir this year. And so we joined. And it has been wonderful. I love all that she has learned about music and that she sings her little heart out week after week during practices. There are probably a dozen or so kids in our ward choir and they make it great. I even got a call from the choir director telling me that Ainsley brought tears to her eyes as she watched her sing because she sang so proudly and knew all the words. It made me a little teary eyed. Ainsley really is an amazing kid.
We also got to be involved in a service project with St. Luke's children's hospital. Owen's friend was hospitalized over the summer with an infection that traveled into his jaw and then had blood clot issues as well. He had a pretty traumatic week in the hospital and then 6 weeks of MRI's and twice daily shots. I think his parents were pretty traumatized as well. They decided that they were going to donate some toys and supplies to the hospital for Christmas to say thanks. The lego toys that someone had donated made their little boy's stay a lot easier. We've been friends with this family since we bought our house. Our children are all the same age and we love them! So since I wanted to be involved in a service this Christmas with our children I thought this would be a perfect fit. Each of the kids donated a toy they were asking for for Christmas. Ainsley gave Polly Pockets, Owen gave Legos, and we also gave lots of coloring stuff, puzzles, art supplies etc. It was such a great experience to have the kids pack up the toys in a big Santa Sack and take it to the hospital. We were at the hospital with 2 other families and got a little tour and were able to see where the toys would go. I thought it was very touching that they have a "Santa's Closet" where parents of children in the hospital can come choose toys to give to their children (all of their children) because I'm sure there is very little Christmas shopping going on when you have a child in the hospital. Ainsley was really effected by it all and Owen just had fun with his friend. It was a great experience.


We also had lots of time at home. Eating, making messes, listening to Christmas music, reading, and making messes.
We also went bowling with my family for a fun night out. I may or may not have lost....
Dead last in fact. Somehow I managed 9 gutter balls. It was embarrassing.
John also had some big happenings this month. He spent a week in sunny Florida. Without us. On a conference, so we'll forgive him :)

His book also finally came out. We are currently in possession of 4 copies. I think it's awesome! (Although I have yet to decide if I will be reading the book in its entirety....sorry John.)
Here's a link to a review of the book. They make it sound thrilling!
http://signaturebooks.com/2010/04/the-nauvoo-city-and-high-council-minutes/

3 comments:

Alene said...

John is famous and Ainsley is awesome.

Anonymous said...

My review:
1) Puzzles - I agree - meh (but I'm hiding my true "love" because I want my kids to do them. So don't tell them!)

2)The hospital - we have had such good experiences with Primary Children's and Shriners for my daughter (S). At the last apt a few weeks ago they gave all my kids free huge brand new build-a-bears. Those kids hospitals are truly amazing and a huge blessing to those who need them. I will be donating lots to them - well, at least when I'm done paying our millions of bills.

3) bowling = fun

4) That book looks amazing!! Does the famous author have any free ones he wants to send this way?? ;) I'm so impressed!

5) Merry Christmas. This commenting could go on all day, apparently. I better go before it gets out of hand. Too late?

kt

Kohl said...

A book! So cool. Merry Christmas!