Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An Interview

I've always had an interest in family history. And I've also always felt a sense of guilt surrounding family history. Because I know I should be doing it. And not just because every member of the church has been told they should be doing it, because I've been told specifically that I need to be doing it.

I've probably known this since I was about 10 though. I don't know many other 10 year old's who are fascinated by the past of their relatives. Who love to sit and listen to stories and figure out pedigrees at such a young age. Or maybe I'm wrong and all children are like that. Who can say for sure?

For years now I've felt the need to interview my grandparents and get a written history. I think I've felt guilty because all of them have past away now but one. My grandpa Welch.

On Saturday I put a portion of my guilt to rest. I drove to Twin Falls with my parents and had a little visit with my Grandpa. I now have almost 3 hours of recorded material and pages of notes. I knew very little of my Grandpa. We spent hours there and only talked about his life up to the point of when he started having a family. And it was nearly all new information to me. I. Loved. It.

I get a little emotional just thinking about it. More than anything I love the stories. The details that tell you more about the people that came before you and their day to day experiences. Saturday was a day I will never forget. I feel much closer to my grandpa now. And while I still need to go back and take another 3 hours to get the details on the rest of his life, I feel like I got a great start.

My only regret was that I forgot to get out the camera and take a still picture of him.....Ah well, next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have done that with Hubby's grandma, and it is truly amazing. It is so fascinating to hear about their lives. Glad you were able to do it! :) I LOVE family history. I'm like a little old grandma in a lot of ways.......it's kinda creepy.

:)

kt

Anonymous said...

I took my first genealogy class when I was 12--the ward leaders wouldn't let me take it until I was in Young Women's or it would have been a lot sooner.

Alene said...

Sorry--I hit publish befoe my name

EJ said...

That's cool, Jess! It's amazing how interesting people's life stories are (even when they are just a normal person).