Monday, August 3, 2015

Escape from Reality

After all that happened with our house I told John that I needed to get away. And more specifically that I needed to get away to somewhere where I had no cell service.  (I had become obsessed with the worry that I was going to get a new message or email about a new disaster.)

So on a the Sunday night after everything had calmed down a bit we started planning a camping trip for that Thursday.  And as luck would have it one of my favorite friends, Brooke, texted at the very moment about getting together that week. It was destiny.  And a fabulous little getaway ensued.

We reserved a spot at literally one of the only campgrounds that had availability online.  I was nervous about what we would find when we got there.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  The only thing worth mentioning in the campground was about a dozen awesome climbing rocks.  But it was shaded and private and just what I needed.  I'm going again next year.  To Helende site #3, if anyone wants to join me they are welcome.
We were about 4 miles a way from Kirkham hotsprings.  It was a short little hike down to awesome warm pools right on the side of the freezing river.
And there was a perfect rock for jumping into the river and then a warm "shower" coming off the mountain to warm you up after the icy plunge.  The first time my kids jumped in I was terrified.  And then when I saw they survived I thought it was awesome.  They probably each jumped like 20 times.


Brooke's frog jump was my favorite!
I stuck with the boring pencil dive with nose plugged.
A conversation with a stranger led us to a perfect beach area the next day. He actually gave us another tip too...he instructed us to go the hot springs at night and lay with your ears submerged.  Apparently if you do that while watching the stars and hum your favorite song the stars start to appear to come toward you.  I'm guessing its like being on drugs without being on drugs....or maybe he just forgot to tell us that drugs were actually needed for the full effect?  We may never know because we didn't make it back to the hotsprings at midnight.  Maybe next year :)

Anyways, his beach recommendation was spot on!  It was a perfect little bend in the river with a huge rocky area and a soft sandy area.  The best news of the day was that I skipped my first rock.  Ever!  It was awesome.  My high for the day was 3 or 4 skips.  I can't remember.  Either way I'm very proud of myself.
Notice the cool rock towers....

The men and Ains and Owen jumped in the icy river and swam across.  Another terrified mother moment.  But they did it.  And I'm sure it was empowering for them.  So I guess I'll allow it.  Even though I'd rather keep them safe with me at all times.

The weekend was full of treats, fires, laughter, talking, dutch ovens, relaxing, a bit of arguing(darn kids), and just enough icecream.  It was perfect and just what I needed.  There's something about being out in nature that rejuvenates me.  I love it.

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

I'm jealous of all the camping you have done this summer. Maybe next year we should plan camping trip to Idaho and you can show us how it's done.

KT said...

Sounds perfect. Glad you got to get away for a bit!

SD and EJ said...

Someday I want to go camping with you. I really, really hate it, but you always make it look so fun. And congrats on the rock skipping. That is something I have never been able to do.