Monday, October 22, 2018

The primary program is over!  (For this year anyways.) I wrote the program for our primary this year. Normally I’m not one to over think or worry about things like that.  But this year for some reason I felt more stressed about it.  Our primary has gotten quite a bit smaller in the past few years and so I only had about 50 parts. Almost all of the kids fit on the padded choir seats! It was crazy! In my opinion the length of the program was the only flaw.   I never remembered to time the program when we were practicing so I had no idea how long the program would be. We ended about 10-15 minutes early and the bishop has to fill the time.  But it didn’t seem to bother anyone but me.  The kids gave great talks and most of their parts were pulled from an “I am a Child of God” board we made in primary in January where the kids each shared ways that they knew Heavenly Father loved them.  It made it so that during the program kids weren’t grouped by class…they were grouped by topic.  Which made seating a little tricky, but ultimately it was just fine.  The kids sang 2 songs they loved in particular, “One in a Million” and “I Will Be What I Believe.”  They sang loud and proud and did great!  I’m happy they did so well and that it’s all over and now I can move onto the next thing in primary…planning for next year!

Owen is a man of mystery.  He had a band concert last week and about an hour before the concert he informed us that he had a solo.  Then he mentioned that he actually had two solo’s.  Like it was no big deal.  Then he told us that the reason he had the solos was because he was in jazz band.  We had no idea! Jazz band is an advisory elective.  When Owen’s favorite advisory (analyzing Disney movies) wasn’t available he ended up in jazz band by default.  He then casually informed us that he is the first chair trumpet.  Out of 15.  Not too shabby Owen!  He did really well on his solos (basically different kids came up and did a little improv, like scatting but with instruments). And now I’m left wondering what else my son is involved in that I have no clue about.  Because when I ask about his day I just get told that it was good and he learned. I wish he would use more words!


Ains finished swim team last week as well.  Her last meet was on Tuesday.  She swam in two relays.  She did really well in one of her relays and passed two other swimmers during her length of the race.  And her team never finished last! She’s not going to districts but will have a team banquet next month. I’m proud of her for trying something new! She found something she really enjoyed and that she’ll miss until next season.  And I think she’s in better shape than she’s been in her whole life.  She says she  wants to keep working out.  Which I think is awesome.  In my opinion everyone needs a good physical outlet.

Emmie got invited to play on the all stars team for her league. So she’ll play in a fun game where they compile the best 40 or so girls in her league.  I’m sure it’s also a sales pitch to parents to sign their daughters up for a full competitive league.  But we have no interest in that.  So for Emmie it will just be a fun game. Emmie also earned the “Wanted” award in her class this week.  I think she earned it for completing her work well.  She was more proud of that award than being asked to play on an all star team. John was baffled by this.  Emmie also told me that she retook her IRI test and that her score came way up.  I’m anxious to visit with her teacher during parent teacher conferences next week.  I’ve volunteered in her class but I spend my time in the teachers work room and have very little time to actually talk with her teacher!

We also had a Ward Halloween party on Friday.  There was a chili cook-off and people dressed up.  And that was about it.  Honestly my kids were bored and wanted to go home.  And the party was being cleaned up 30 minutes before it was even supposed to end.  It was kind of a bummer.  I wish they would have had some activities.  But I’ll try not to complain too much for fear of being put in charge of the next ward activity.

John has been busy watching a lot of baseball recently.  His beloved Red Sox are headed to the World Series this year.  He has a friend in our ward that is also a huge Red Sox fan who called one day with a plan to drive to LA and get tickets to see game four in the series.  The plan came to a fast halt however when they looked up tickets and saw that they were going for $700. Crazy!  Who spends that much to go to a baseball game? People in LA I guess?

No comments: