Monday, October 29, 2018


We spent A LOT of time on the soccer field last week.  It was Emmie’s league tournament.  She had games Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  They won all of their games except one and that one ended in a tie.  She wanted a medal so badly.  She has received medals in the past but they’ve always just been a participation medal.  When a friend of hers rudely told her that she only had participation medals Emmie really wanted one that was earned. Well…her team played hard and they came in first in their division!  They beat out 11 teams!  They had to score 3 goals during their final game to guarantee victory and when they scored that 3rd goal they were so excited!  I was proud of her and all of her team for working so hard.  They are some tough girls!


Ainsley had  an orchestra concert  this week as well.  It was Halloween themed.  The kids were all in costume and even their director (who looks like a 17 year old but claims to have a college degree) got in on the fun.  He skateboarded in at the beginning dressed as Marty Mcfly.  He had a fog machine for a few of the songs and on top of that the music he selected was great.  Although if you asked Emmie and Owen it was way too long and boring.


Our family also survived what I will call “fly-pocolypse” this last week.  I was driving the girls to and from activities and so I relied on Owen to help me with dinner.  I had dinner prepped and called and gave him my best estimate for cook time.  Unfortunately I didn’t make it clear that my times were estimates and he left the kitchen to watch tv with a pan sizzling away on the stove.  When I drove up to the house Owen was opening doors and the house was Smokey and smelled horribly!  Enter the flies.  The smoke, the smell of food on a warm October day, and the welcoming wide open doors brought soooo many files into our house!  It was insane!  Flies were  all over the ceilings, doors, cupboards, everywhere.  We started swatting and killed at least 20 before we had to leave for Ainsleys concert.  Then I killed more that night.  The next morning.  And to this day I’m wondering if the flies I’m still killing are part of that batch or just random flies that are sneaking in when a door opens.  At least now fly sightings are few and far between.

The kids were out of school on Thursday and Friday for Parent teacher conferences. We filled our 4 day weekend and I’d say we made good use of our time!  Ainsley got a hair cut.  We bought pumpkins.  We went to soccer games.  We carved pumpkins.  The boys got haircuts. Ainsley and Owen went to the temple and did baptisms for the dead.  We put lights outside for Halloween.  We watched Red Sox games.  We went to pizza pie café with Emmie’s soccer team.  I went to a million primary meetings (okay, more like 3 but it felt like a lot!). Ainsley went to a stake dance and even invited a friend over to hang out before the dance! What?!?! Emmie baked and decorated cakes for Halloween with some friends.  Her friends moms are way cooler than me.  I swear we did more but I can’t remember right now! I don’t think any of us ended the weekend feeling rested as all.

As far as parent teacher conferences went they were all helpful!  All of the kids had a very positive report from their teachers.  We got some good insight into some of Ainsley and Owen’s classes and we learned that Emmie has retaken the test that she scored low on previously and improved her score tremendously.  Her Lexile score literally doubled and her IRI scores were significantly higher across the board.  Her teacher is convinced it was just a fluke.  Unfortunately it was a stressful fluke for me!

And with that I think I’ll end our update for the week.  Phew!

No comments: