Sunday, January 27, 2019

January 26, 2019

Ainsley’s birthday celebration was pretty low key this year.  Which fits her perfectly.  Originally we had plans to do something as a family on Saturday night since she had a Sunday birthday this year, but John and Owen had a rough day skiing and Ainsley wasn’t feeling well so we ended up staying home and watching a movie.  For her birthday my parents came over and we had a lasagne dinner and over the top ice cream sundaes.  Ainsley’s main gift this year was tickets to Les Miserables.  The show isn’t until July so she will have six months to memorize the music and look forward to it. To cap off her birthday I made her watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail that night because it was on Netflix.  It definitely got a few laughs….but mostly she was in awe of the strangeness of it all.



Ainsley was lucky enough to have stake conference on her birthday.  I haven’t enjoyed stake conference for several years.  This is horrible of me to admit but our old stake president was really hard to listen to and I felt like he was always rebuking us.  We got a new stake presidency this year and I actually loved stake conference!  The stake president talked about how he knew the prophets were true.  He shared experiences from his life where he had followed their counsel and how through that faithfulness he had gained a testimony of his leaders.  I’m not sure why but the stories he shared and the words of the prophets that he testified of really touched me that day.

Emmie submitted a piece of art to our stakes’ art show, La Prima Galleria.  There was artwork displayed by children and youth in the stake ages 8-18.  Emmie submitted a piece of string art she made at school that she had worked really hard on. It was a nice evening to attend and the kids’ art was actually really impressive and move to look at.


My children (and John) are all pretty upset with me right now.  I reached my breaking point on Saturday (minutes before we had to leave for the art show)  and the Nintendo Switch, Owen’s beloved game of fortnight, and the computer password are all gone. From now until my birthday.  If behaviors and levels of obedience don’t improve by then I have threatened to sell the switch and buy myself a nice present.  Happy birthday to me!

Owen gave his first talk in sacrament meeting today.  He spoke on honesty and did a great job.  He shared the story of when Ainsley stole a candy bar and ran out of the store and into the parking lot when she was two. She grabbed a candy bar as we were checking out and ran out the automatic doors into the parking lot.  I chased her down, and embarrassed I tossed the candy bar back into the store instead of taking it back in myself. I’m weird.  It was a funny and awkward moment and the perfect attention getter for Owen’s talk.  It also caused Ainsley to be asked a lot of questions about that event today.

Ainsley and Owen have both recently been called to their respective class presidencies.  Owen was set apart as the 1st counselor in the deacons quorum last week and Ainsley was set apart as the 2nd counselor in the miamaid presidency today.  I’m grateful that they will both have opportunities to be involved and hopefully learn a few leadership skills as they serve.

Unfortunately John has to miss Owens talk and Ainsley’s setting apart due to the fact that he left this morning for a work training in San Diego.  I think he’s looking forward to a few days of warm weather and some down time.  Sadly he’ll be thrown back into the rigors of real life upon his return home.  He has to present a 2.5 hour training on Friday at work (that he just found out about) and we will be heading up to McCall next Saturday for the winter carnival with my parents. Fun and busy times!

Lately I’ve been trying to read conference and other inspiring talks.  I recently read this one and quite liked it. It was an Ensign article in the 80’s and it gave me lots to think about. So here is some food for thought.

“One Thing Needful”:
Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ
By Patricia T. Holland
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/10/one-thing-needful-becoming-women-of-greater-faith-in-christ?lang=eng

No comments: