Sunday, January 24, 2021

March 2020

In an attempt to recap the infamous 2020, I plan to go through my camera roll and put photos from that month here on the blog along with any important news I feel like I should add. So here we go...

March 2020 started like most other Marches. Band concerts, piano recitals, and plans being made for spring break. And then Covid hit. A week before spring break school was canceled, I remember wondering if the kids would go back to school after spring break. Clearly the crisis that was happening worldwide was not fully understood by me, or by most people. Every day it seemed we were hit with new surprises as more and more of the world came to a crashing halt. Tennis was cancelled, soccer was cancelled, church was cancelled. But when Disneyland closed, my mind was blown. We slowly started to realize that we might be in this for the long haul.  Not really knowing what "the long haul" meant. 

Ainsley and Emmie were supposed to be going to Disneyland with my parents. That got cancelled. John and I were going to take Owen to the coast to visit James and Shelly and spend time on the Oregon coast. That was cancelled. John had been interviewed for a documentary on Idaho history and we were supposed to go to a fancy schmancy showing at the Idaho history museum, that was cancelled. John had his birthday.  That wasn't cancelled! Although I had the genius idea to drive 2 hours away to a hot springs.  I figured that would be a great thing to do to get away from people and covid. I was wrong. The place was packed. I couldn't even relax and have fun. More and more people kept coming the longer we were there and I finally made everyone pack up and leave. Even the family we invited to go with us. John was not happy with me. But we did come home and eat his beloved huevos rancheros. So hopefully that redeemed his birthday a bit. 

I panicked again when we suddenly couldn't get toilet paper. Luckily we were always able to find some when we needed it. John and I went to Winco one evening to get some food, the store was packed, and the shelves were empty. I've never lived through anything where I had to worry about not being able to get food for my children. And while I knew we would technically be fine because we have a surplus of food at home, it was still a little unnerving. I couldn't even comprehend that life wouldn't be back to normal for a long, long, time. I'm still waiting....

And now, photos from March.

Owen's band Concert.  Look at how close they were sitting! And not wearing masks!
Ainsley and Emmie's piano recital. My parents had just returned from a trip to visit Syd in Florida and Kort in Denver and this was the first time we had seen them in weeks. My mom was SICK. Horrible cough, fever, etc. She had seen a Dr. in Denver who told her it was just a virus. She flew home. After some time home she finally went to her Dr. here ,who couldn't be certain, (covid tests were hard to come by then) but said he would not be surprised if she had indeed had covid. We'll never know for sure. No one around her ever got sick and we still joke that she was the first case in Idaho. Joke might not be the right word, as it most definitely is not funny. 
School was cancelled on a Sunday night and on Monday we drove up to Bogus. February had dumped a ton of snow in the mountains and there was still decent skiing.  On Tuesday they shut down the ski resort....because of Covid, not the lack of snow.
March was the beginning of the quarantine. We stayed home and didn't see friends and family to help flatten the curve. We started doing what the rest of America was doing. Spending time as a family finding ways to pass the time.





Next up...April.

No comments: