Monday, August 23, 2021

September 2020

September brought us the beginning of a strange school year. School started late because of Covid. WestAda started extra late because they didn't want to start until they had devices for all students and a way to teach online. Elementary-Highschool started completely online with the hope that they would switch to in person learning eventually. I can't remember how long the kids were online only but eventually, Elementary school began with half of the kids in each class online while the others were in class with the teacher. High school had remote Mondays (where everyone was online) and then half of the kids were in class 2 days a week, while the other half was at home on their computers. If I'm being honest, I loved having the kids home more and the slower pace. Emmie and Elsie did school together on their at home days. We were super lucky that they were in the same class and they were on the same schedule. I was still working Monday-Friday at the library for about 4 hours each day. Before school started we passed out over 1,000 computers. Masks were required at school and there were a lot of parents that were upset about that. I was just happy that the kids were able to be in school at least part time. Masks were a minor inconvenience in my opinion. 

Before school started we rounded up supplies to make the kids some desks. Each of them would need a learning area if this was going to be their new classroom. Emmie and Elsie would use this long desk we made in our downstairs family room.

And we made Owen this little desk for his bedroom. Nothing fancy but it would work!

Here's a picture from when Owen and Ainlsey got to actually go to school. How sad is it that I don't have a picture of Emmie! That shows just how crazy of a year it was.



Ainsley started a job at Welch Music as well. She was hired to work about 10 hours a week, and with the low key covid schedule, it was completely doable. Owen and his friend Logan decided not to join the cross country team. I was a little relieved because I was still a little nervous about him running all of those hills with his knee. These boys had a plan to run and lift weights and get super buff. I'd say it went about as well as most workout plans do. They got in a lot of running at first, and Owen bought weights for strength training, but the workouts faded a bit over time.

During September there was extra time spent sleeping and being lazy. Learning while laying in bed. And basically following Leo's lead for the day...


We also got grapes! So many grapes. This is just a portion of what I picked that we would later turn into grape jelly.
Emme, Ashley, Lacey, and Elsie after a soccer game.
Heather and I worked with the 10-11 year olds for our primary activity group. The girls decided they wanted to play Quidditch. This is what they came up with. It was so fun. They were seriously the best group of girls!
 
This is the french bread recipe that began my family's love of BLT's. Add some mayo, cheese, and avacado to the BLT on this french bread and everyone in my family is happy. Which is RARE!
We also celebrated my dad's birthday. It's always hard trying to decide what to get for a person that has everything. So we gave him "62 memories of you" for his 62nd birthday. It was really fun to read everyone's memories of him. And I might be wrong, but I think he might have been a little choked up as he read some of our memories. I have the document saved...if I'm awesome I will copy the memories here one day.



No comments: