Sunday, November 16, 2008

Are you prepared?


We went to a preparedness fair this weekend. The main thing I learned is that I'm not prepared at all (even though I've spent hundreds of dollars lately trying to get prepared). If anything serious was to happen my family would most surely die.


And...not that I'm complaining, but I am of the opinion that it is much easier for some to be prepared than others. For example, it is much easier for a family with a high income and a lot of space to go out and by $3,000 worth of food and supplies and then still have a place to put it when they get home, than for a family with a tighter budget and a house already bursting at the seams to get theirs. I really feel a need to get our food storage ready, and I have been trying...really. It's just a bit overwhelming to realize that it will most likely take me 10 years to get things in order and I will most definitely need a bigger house. Unless I'm willing to make my end tables out of boxes of wheat covered in a pretty fabric. Not that I'm complaining...

**Disclaimer....I'm in no way criticizing food storage, I really have felt the need to get it done and we've been doing what we can, slowly but surely. I'm just a little frustrated, and that's allowed, right???

7 comments:

The Marshall Family said...

What is wrong with decorating your shelves with canned food :) I hear ya Jess!

Val said...

I've been working on this a lot lately. I had nowhere to put my food storage when we lived in Idaho. I'm VERY thankful for a basement now. I know a lady who used #10 cans to make a bed for her daughter. She put a mattress on top of course, but I thought that was funny.

mama donk aubri jo said...

you see it is the well off big home owners that are going to step up and help us less well off smaller home owners when disaster strikes, it all goes in the pot in this org. :) thank goodness, but i feel the need as well.

SD and EJ said...

I agree! Where in the world would I put a bunch of food storage (even if I could afford it)? I figure right now I'll either leech off my parents or the bishop. :)

Sheri said...

You're so much better than I am at this. I have the hardest time bringing myself to store 1200 pounds of wheat in my basement. It just seems so excessive to me. I'm trying to gear up for it... I'm starting with a 3 month supply of regular food and we'll go from there!

Kohl said...

I get stressed out whenever I go to a food storage thing, but then I just try to get back into perspective that it is better to have some food storage and be working on it than not having anything at all! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Jess, we've kind of felt the same need for prepardness. That's why we've put every extra penny into paying off our house this last 3 years. And now we're putting all the money into paying off the car. And the only way you can do food storage is a little at a time. Keep up the good work.