Saturday, June 27, 2009

Full Swing

Summer is finally in full swing and I am loving every minute of it. It seemed like it took forever to warm up this year, and with being out of town for a week in June it somehow felt like it took summer forever to start.

We got to hang out with Steph (John's sister) and Eric for a few days and that helped get things rolling. They are very serious people. (I'm not sure who took this picture but I think it's funny.)

We BBQ'ed went to a cute little ice cream shop (that I will be visiting again soon hopefully) went to the park where I watched both of my children climb up a massive hill...I still can't believe Owen climbed up and down by himself. Luckily he had an aunt and uncle here because his pregnant mother was in no condition to hike to the top with him! (If you click on the picture and zoom in you might be able to pick out some blurry figures...Steph, Eric, Ains, and Owen.)
Since then we have been packing our days with summer things. That's what I love about summer, you can be super busy, but it's busy doing fun things. There's just something nice about being busy doing nothing in particular. I intentionally refuse sign my kids up for summer activities so that we are free to play and see where the days take us. I guess I just like having a few months of the year where there is no such thing as a schedule. We are playing hard at parks. Swimming a ton, sometimes twice a day, working in the yard, playing with friends and enjoying the outdoors! Syd has been teaching Ainsley how to swim. She can now jump off the diving board (even without her goggles) and swim to the top and float on her back! I am impressed with Ains for doing it and Syd for teaching her.
We are also starting to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Our peas are coming on in full force. I think Owen has eaten 90% of this years crop! We are starting to see beans and tomatoes. We've been eating onions for weeks and our pepper plants are blossoming! I love being able to have a garden.
Today we went to pick surplus cherries from a woman in our ward. I LOVE cherries! We got a ton...and I'm heading out again next week to relieve another sister from a few of her burdensome surplus cherries. I just need to come up with some clever ways to use them since I don't want to can them (I make awful pies, and what would I can other than pie filling?) I'm thinking of making cherry freezer jam and I was told that if you freeze them whole they make great snacks...any other ideas???

3 comments:

EJ said...

I think John told us to look serious for that picture. Too bad Ash isn't in it to make us look cuter. We had so much fun with you! I don't like cherries at all, but that picture makes them look good.

Colleen said...

you could dry the cherries for snacks or to add to things like cookies, muffins,breads. whatever

Dancing Queen said...

I'm sure your cherries are long gone, (because I've been so busy all summer, I'm just catching up with reading everyone's blogs) but for future reference, my favorite jello growing up was cherry with cherries in it. they were canned cherries, which are really easy, but you could try it fresh too!