Saturday, July 11, 2009

Staycation

My dad planned a little 'staycation' and so we were able to have a really fun weekend. Since the camera didn't come out near as often as it needed to, I have no proof of some of the awesomness...so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Friday evening we all got together and made homemade pizza and the kids swam until it got dark. When darkness finally arrived my dad pulled out the projector and screen he had borrowed and we set up a movie outside. We got the old Parent Trap movie, had popcorn cooked over the stove (which is my new favorite btw), bundled up in blankets, and stayed up way too late watching the movie outside. It was awesome...I only wish I could afford a projector and a HUGE screen for my backyard. The screen we watched the movie on was actually a king size sheet rigged to some poles and stuck in the ground...in case you were wondering.

The movie ended after midnight. Amazingly, the only 2 that fell asleep part way through were Owen and Bailey. The grand kids then got to sleep outside with Grandpa and Sydney while the rest of us retired to our own beds.
We were up and going bright and early the next morning, can I just mention how nice it is to wake up on your own, and not because of a child! We packed a lunch and loaded up our bikes, headed back to my parents and caravanned down to the greenbelt. I really do love the greenbelt. I love how you can be riding through downtown and feel like you are riding through the woods. I wish we could have gotten a picture of the bike train as we were riding. It was quite a sight. 7 bikes and 2 bike trailers all in a row. We had a picnic in the park, peeked at the giraffes in the zoo, walked through the nature center, and played at the park. We were on the greenbelt from 11:00 to 3:00. By the end there were several tired bodies, two sleeping toddlers, and I think there were approximately 7 sore bums in the group!
Afterward we headed back to the pool to cool off for a bit. The kids showed amazing energy in the water for the long night and day they had. We came home in time for dinner and bed. Completely worn out...in fact it's just after 7:00 and both of my children are sleeping soundly in their beds! So I can go pop some more of my new favorite popcorn!

2 comments:

Val said...

What a fun idea! We've used that projector and sheet idea for some YW activities and it's so great!

Anonymous said...

That is so weird! A line from one of the "Parent Trap" songs popped into my head earlier today and I was thinking we totally need to rent that for the kids. It's a classic.

You guys have a lot of energy. Sounds fun!

And by the way, I've been meaning to tell you......you are so cute prego! :)

**KT