Monday, September 7, 2009

The Name Game

I have come to realize something throughout my pregnancies...John and I are not compatible when it comes to naming children. I hate to say this publicly, but John drives me crazy when it comes to choosing names. He either only comes us with crazy names, like Beatrix, Omar, Trolly Dodger, or Fenway. Or he gets one name in his head and can speak of nothing else.

With Ainsley this worked to his benefit (probably because I found her name first, and although I liked it I wasn't sure about it until she was born).

With Owen he stuck with Fenway until the end. I think the only reason he agreed to Owen was that is was his Grandpa's name, the funny thing about that though, is that I thought his grandpa's name was Charles and only found out right before I had Owen that that was indeed his grandpa's name. I just think it was funny that for months John had in his mind that we were naming our child after a relative, and I thought we had just picked a cute name at random. Maybe we need to work on our communication skills!

This time around John picked the name Omar for a boy...luckily I only had to listen to that one constantly until I was 20 weeks and then it was shut down for good. His girl name this time around is Emmie. It's not a horrible name, I actually think it's kind of cute, I'm just not sold on it. I have my own names. But I'm tired of hearing the baby referred to as Emmie and there being no discussion otherwise. He did try to humor me a few weeks ago when I got really mad and we talked BRIEFLY about other names. For the record, my list of names at this point include Chloe, Maya, and Zoey(how wierd is it that 2 of my names rhyme, I'm almost embarrased about that!) but my list is constantly warping.

In general naming children just stresses me out. I don't like the pressure. Maybe I put too much thought into it. I worry about the name fitting them as a baby, a child, and an adult. It has to sound decent with Dinger...which is no easy task! I worry that it has to fit with the other names in the family so it can just roll off your tongue, Ainsley, Owen, and____. And I worry that the kid will end up hating their name. Maybe that's because I never really liked mine. My mom knew from the time she was in high school that she would name a daughter Jessica. How sad that I never loved the name like she did.

So my question is, how do you go about naming your children? Do you have a list saved from high school that you use? Do you argue with your spouse about it? Am I the only one that hates it?

I guess this time around I might just have to wait until I'm at the hospital again, and hopefully the name will be finalized there.

BTW...please no feed back on our list of possible names (unless of course you think they are all adorable)....we don't need to add any fuel to the fire in either direction :)

11 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Trolley Dodger?! Seriously? Even as a joke, only John would come up with that. I actually think Fenway is kind of cool, but obviously not for a girl. My whole life I wanted to name my first girl Gia, but Gia Jensen just doesn't work for me. And I so badly want to name a boy Ranger, but EJ shot that one down real quick. I agree that choosing names is hard, but I love thinking about it.

Here's what I did to ensure we name all our children names I like: go buy a family home evening board (or something like that) that has personalized magnets for every person in your family. Then order a magnet for all of your future children with the names you want. That way, you already spent money on personalized magnets and there's not a dang thing your husband can do about it. I'm pretty sure it's going to work in my case. Although, now I'm thinking I should go back and have a Ranger magnet made.

And, for the record, I love those names you like.

jdinger said...

For the record, I never wanted to name a child trolley dodger. I heard that someone named their daughter Brooklyn, and as everyone knows, the L.A. Dogders were originally named the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers. Thus, I said to Jess, "they should have just named her Trolley Dodger."

Any way, Emmy is a great name. Everyone I tell it to, thinks it is great. Ignore Jessica's threats and if you think it is great, let her know.

And also for the record, Omar is an awesome name.

Merel said...

Hi Jessica!
How are you doing? The kids are growing up so fast! I can imagine that it's hard to come up with a name which both of you like.
I can give you some suggestions.
If I have to think of American names, I like Jamee and Abby.
Good luck with choosing one ;)

Sheri said...

Derek refuses to discuss names with me. I'm up night thinking about it, but he doesn't want to talk about it - ever. Bryce was chosen during a walk when I was about 20 weeks along and we never discussed it again. Austin was a family joke since we'd just moved from Austin, and the first time Derek talked to me about names was 3 weeks before he was born when I forced the issue, and then he was going to be Carter until he was two days old and Bryce insisted on Austin. I hate naming children!

Dinger said...

Ours were easy. . .stick with a theme, we went with presidents, although if we had a girl we were for sure naming the next one Kate because we loved Kate from "Lost." Names were never an issue, we both really liked the same ones. . .sorry I am not much help. If my opinion matters at all, which is shouldn't, I will just say, I love all of your names a lot. I say, if you are doing all the pushing, you get twice the vote!!

Anonymous said...

The Hubster and I always agree on names right off the bat too. But I will admit that its hard.....you don't wanna pick anything that is going to scar them for life! Good luck!

**KT

shellydinger said...

We are polar opposites when it comes to names, and there is lots of arguing. We agreed on Hailey pretty quick, but Beckett was not an easy task at all. I wanted Catcher or Jensen. James hated both and was rattling off ball players when he said Josh Beckett. I think he was suggesting Josh, but all I heard was Beckett. Dinger is a hard name, all the names I like end in 'er' and it sounds funny. I was serious about the name Catcher, until I said Catcher Dinger outloud. I won't comment on your names, but I do really like Fenway (we know a boy named Wrigley)and since Omar is out, the first thing I thought was Omar Gooding. Do you remember him?

Elizabeth said...

Russ and I lucked out that we were having a boy. We'd been talking about Davis for several years. We had no clue what to name our baby if it were a girl! I have a niece named Emmie. And i know a Chloe and a Maya. So I don't think any of the names you've chosen will scar her for life. But good luck. And I agree -- if you're doing all the pushing, your vote should be counted twice!!!

Ashlee said...

John - sorry, but Omar is not a cool name. And yes, I do like Emmie, a lot. It's very feminine. Jess, your names are also very cute. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those girl names.

Dancing Queen said...

I'm probably not much help . . . as my kids come with names. Little One was given the choice to change his name when adopted . . . and Princess' name we liked so well that we're keeping it. Though I always thought we'd be changing them out of foster care . . . maybe we took the easy way out. In the end, they have the same 1st names, and just changed middle. But we'll be changing Princess' middle to Emmalee (Emma was my great granddma, and "lee" well, that's one's hard to figure out, huh. =)Matthew didn't really have many suggestions, and finally just had to agree with my choice.

Lynette said...

I Like Zoey and Maya. I did see Maya Spelled Miya the other day. If that helps any, since you were trying to figure out how to spell it.