Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten!

Ainsley started Kindergarten on Monday...and as you can tell by her lovely pose...she was slightly more excited than nervous.

She has been waiting for this day for a long time. Unfortunately for her she still doesn't have a great grasp of time. Days, weeks, and months, can be used interchangeably as far as she is concerned. A typical conversation might go something like this.

A: So, school starts in 4 days?
Me: No, 2 weeks.
A: So, in 10 days?

There's really no rhyme or reason to it...not at all confusing.

We got there early enough for her to play on the playground for a while. The bell rang, the kids lined up,the parents watched, and then the kids went inside...while the parents watched. Ains gave her teacher a hearty "Hello!" on her way in the door, she was oozing confidence that day. She even informed me later that she was the cutest girl there.
The parents all hung about awkwardly in the classroom for a minute and then eventually left their little ones behind. I had a moment of emotion on Friday at the open house and was worried that in my pregnant state this moment that Ains and I had been waiting for for so long would be tainted by tears. But alas, she was so excited I couldn't help but be excited for her. And she has been so ready for school for so long that it was more of a relief that the day was finally here than anything else.


Unfortunately for Owen and I, our day wasn't quite as fun. Owen complained of an upset stomach all day, so we were just waiting for the puking to hit. I'm sure glad Ains had it last week and not during her first week of school! I was being all productive and making tomato sauce with the tomatoes from my garden, and peach jam with peaches from a friend. We picked up Ains from kindergarten and I was babysitting the kids that Ains picked up her illness from last week. I had just finished my "freezer canning" and my body was aching when Owen puked all over the carpet.
Poor kid was miserable for the rest of the day and into the night. Luckily all the kids that were here had been sick already, but I was a little insane trying to keep a one year old out of the puke mess long enough to get it cleaned up....ewwww!
So after a long afternoon and night, and a couple more days, Owen is finally recovered, Ains is still loving school, and I have since made raspberry jam, baked bread, cleaned the house, and gone grocery shopping...go me!

7 comments:

Dinger said...

So glad Ains loves school. Are she and Elisabeth in the same class? What a cute girl, I have a feeling she will be very popular. . .her personality is just perfect for that!

Elizabeth said...

you're amazing!!

shellydinger said...

Every time I look at your blog I am shocked at how grown up your kids look. Every Time.

Alene said...

I start school on Tuesday and I'm no where near as excited as Ains--in fact, I'm not excited at all!

Dancing Queen said...

Go You! Wow, impressive. Big day!

SD and EJ said...

How did I miss this post? I have no doubt at all that Ains was easily the cutest girl there. Poor little Owen. There are few things sadder than a sick little kid.

Kohl said...

How do you do it? You are amazing doing all that in your pregnant state!