Wednesday, October 27, 2010

When the cat's away the mice will play.

I had the opportunity last weekend to go on a little road trip to St. George with my mom and Syd to go to my cousins wedding. And not that I don't care about the cousin who's wedding we attended, but my motivations for going were slightly selfish. First of all, who can turn down a weekend of being child free? Even if it does involve 24 hours in the car in 3 days. And secondly, it got me out of speaking in church, and sharing time. (I'm currently not in good standing with the rest of the primary presidency that I abandoned. But I'm sure they'll get over it in time.)

My mom and I left Boise Friday morning, picked up my sister in Provo, and were in St George that night. I got to see aunts, uncles, cousins, and a grandma that I hadn't seen in a LONG time. It was so fun to catch up. We helped with the wedding on Saturday. Although I wasn't much help due to my poor choices the night before (I took Excedrin, a muscle relaxer, and drank a ton of caffeine on the drive....it took a while to get that out of my system.) But that didn't stop me from riding around on my grandma's scooter. I'll have to get a picture. I really want one of those things!

After a day of working and hanging out we piled back in the car and were back in Boise Sunday night. Long weekend, but worth it.
And while I was gone, the kids and John had a bit of fun on their own. They went to a Soc Hop at the school where they ate tons of junk food. Went to Little Caesars and McDonald's. Played their last soccer games in the rain. And John even woke up to a puking Ainsley in the middle of the night early Sunday morning.




My weekend away was made completely worth while when John called and told me that my job was way harder than his and he would rather take the bar over and over than have to be with the kids all day every day. I didn't want to rub it in, but he had pretty easy days....all the work had been done, food bought, clothes and house cleaned, he just had to maintain. But I didn't. I just smiled.
Seriously though, he did a great job with the kids and I'm so grateful to have a husband who will let me leave and do things like this without ever complaining. He never has a problem with me getting out of the house and even volunteers to watch the kids at night to give me a break. He's amazing.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

He is a good man. Glad you had a great time.

shellydinger said...

I love the picture of John and Emmie. But the validation comment about how hard it is to stay with the kids . . .what I wouldn't give to get a sincere comment like that from James! Great weekend!