Thursday, March 3, 2011

Employment

I was recently contacted by a friend. Her husband has been working to start an online children's bookstore for about 5 years now. The website focuses on books for kids 0-12. His website is finally starting to turn a profit and so they asked if I would be willing to work a few hours a week updating the website for them. They thought of me because I'm a mom and have a teaching background. My job is mainly just to add content. I create book lists, compile author spotlights, input new releases and such. And I must say I'm loving it so far. I was a little anxious at first. I was mostly worried about the time (funny how setting aside 5-10 hours a week for work somehow seems almost impossible) and that I wouldn't be competent when it came to the technical aspect of the job. I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks and I'm loving it! I enjoy locking myself in my room occasionally just to research children's books. It is an amazing job! Today I got to spend some time researching Kevin Henkes for an author spotlight.....and it was enjoyable!
Who knows how long this opportunity will last....I guess it depends on how well I do my job! But for now I'm just enjoying being able to make a little extra money doing something I actually like doing!

(In case you're wondering the website is http://www.childrensbookstore.com/. It is great site that is still a work in progress. The creator has a lot of good ideas and I think it will get better and better.)

4 comments:

Alene said...

I think that would be the perfect job.

Anonymous said...

Ya, sounds like an amazing job! Also, after I sent you that email I thought, "Oh, I shoulda told her I love Kevin Henkes!" So there you go. Love him! :)

Congrats on the sweet job! Also, I think it would be easier to climb Mt. Everest than find an extra 5-10 hours in a week! Good luck! :)

kt

EJ said...

The website looks really nice. I'll think of books my kids really like and email you.

shellydinger said...

You have my dream job (minus the technical part - that would scare me). I love Henkes books! Yesterday I discovered that I somehow had 4 copies of Lily's Purple Plastic Purse. Odd. I hope your job lasts though!