Sunday, June 5, 2011

First Swim of the Summer

There's just something magical about the first swim of the summer. Even if it wasn't that warm outside and within days it will be cold again. But for the kids, it was a great day!
Notice Owen's hands clasped together in diving position. He went from being unwilling to even jump off the side of the pool into someones arms last year, to jumping off the diving board without giving it a second thought this year. But what is hilarious about this is that last year my mom bribed him with a bag of Skittles if he would jump off the side of the pool. And this year when he did, he was sure to remind my mom that she owed him his bag of Skittles!
Little Emmie is not yet a huge fan of the water. She spent all of her time on the first step of the pool. I wouldn't mind if she was a little nervous of the water all summer, because I have this incredible fear of a child drowning. So in my mind a cautious child is better than an adventurous child. Plus, I can already tell that safety will be an issue for her because she insists on wearing goggles when she is near the water.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that your parents have a pool! So jealous!

kt

shellydinger said...

That is awesome that you have such easy access to a safe, uncrowded, pool. The thought of my kids in water freaks me out more than it probably should. I'm with you on loving the cautious kid.

EJ said...

You're so lucky! I think I would take my kids swimming a lot more if I had a place that wasn't always crowded.