Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Emmie and Her Big Girl Bed

Emmie recently graduated from her crib to her big girl bed. Not because I was ready for her too, but because it was time. It had just become apparent that Owen and Ainsley sharing a room was not working anymore, and we felt it needed to be done before school started so that Ainsley could get a good nights sleep and we could fight all of our battles now rather than have to wait until Christmas break.

I was a bit sad about it. Mostly I was sad when I listed our crib on craigslist and it sold. I wasn't here when the buyers came to pick it up. I was hoping it would go to a cute young couple, but when I asked John for a description he would just say that they very well could live in a trailer park. At least the girl that bought it was really nice and really grateful. She even emailed me after she got it home and thanked me again for the beautiful crib.

I teared up a bit that the crib was gone. Maybe because it was my way of admitting that I was done having babies. And while I love babies, and miss having a baby, I'm also kind of ready for the next phase of having older kids.
Ains and Emmie are now sharing a room. And it kind of shocked me how great Emmie was about the transition. The most trouble she has given us was not wanting to go to her bed a couple of times and coming out of her room a few times before going to sleep. She's been great about napping too. It still cracks me up when she shows up in my room in the morning. I was kind of expecting her to have a period of time where she stayed in her bed and called for me like she did when she woke up in her crib. Not Emmie! The very first morning she was in my room at 7:30 with a bright and happy, "Hi!" And as sad as I was about my baby losing a little of her babiness, Ainsley was 20 times sadder than me. She even made us take a picture of her in the crib, recreating a picture taken of her as a baby...........
Ains had a rough week because there was so much cleaning and sorting going on as we were switching the kids rooms around. There was more than one tear shed over more than one random scrap of paper. I swear one day she will be on the show hoarders.

3 comments:

Alene said...

I think James has every assignment he ever did from jr. high on up, but he's so neat and organized that you'd never know it. Teach her how to organize and maybe that will solve the problem.

Anonymous said...

I seriously throw away papers and toys all the time. It drives me nuts the things my kids want to keep. I just am really sneaky and do it when no one is looking and they never know it's gone. I can't wait for school to start so I can do a deep cleaning! :)

kt

SD and EJ said...

I cried the entire day when Ash moved to a big girl bed. I can't imagine what I'll be like when it's my last baby. I love Ains!