Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First day of school....again!

School is underway and I now have a second grader and a kindergartner. It seems kind of weird. Mostly because they seem so big to me!

The first days of school have gone pretty well. Owen seems to be having fun in kindergarten. His class is full of several friends and so I think school has been a big party for him thus far. Ainsley is in a 2-3 class this year (thanks to budget cuts). I think she'll do well but it might take some getting used to for her. She struggled a bit with finding friends during recesses, and then I explained that the second graders go to lunch a little while after she does. So she's going to have to be brave and try hard to make friends with the few other second grade girls in her class. She had a bummer second day of school, but I'm hoping she's worked out the problems and that she'll have a good year and make new friends too.

.....................Update............
I worry that I make Ainsley seem like she has a hard time with friends at school. I think it's more accurate that I stress out when she has a rough time (which is to be expected with all kids) and I dwell on it and fret about it. I am most likely the one that has a harder time watching Ainsley face any opposition that she has dealing with it.

After talking to her about the schedule at school and breaking the news to her that her best friend won't be able to play with her all the time, we made a plan for her to get to know the girls in her class better. And in only one day it worked. She has very sweet girls in her class. I guess that's the silver lining of being put in a combo class, they don't take the trouble makers. She came home yesterday all smiles. She had been able to play with girls in her class and still got some time to play with her best friends too. We set up a play date for her and I'm just hoping this transition goes smoothly. It must be intimidating to be in a class with the majority of the kids being a year older than you.

Ainsley is such a leader and has such a spunk about her. She is resilient and kind and others are just drawn to her. I found it interesting that the girl in her class that was new to the school sought Ainsley out and asked her to play. Ains really is an amazing little girl!

3 comments:

Alene said...

Poor Ains. It sounds like she has the same set of social skills I did in school. Actually, I think part of it is being the oldest child--you don't have any real examples of how to make friends and what to do in new social situations.

SD and EJ said...

It seriously makes me sick to my stomach to think about all the hard/awkward/lonely social blahness my kids will have to go through someday.

All three of your kids are so, so cute!

Anonymous said...

You mean Owen isn't complaining about the "baby work" like my kindergartner is? Boys are great. :)

kt