Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Our little Canadian getaway!

Just a heads up...get ready for more pictures of John and I than you ever cared to see!


Last week John and I were able to go on a little get away (Because we both have mother's who were wonderful enough to watch our kids for us, John's mom even flew into Boise and stayed in our house for a few days!  We owe her big time!).  We headed north to Canada.  because that's what we like to do in late June.  Since we were there the last week of June last year we decided to make it a tradition!

We left early Wednesday morning and headed north for our 14 hour drive. With a van transporting only 2 adults, the drive was pretty mild.  I even made John take a seat out of the van where I laid a camping pad and slept.  It was awesome! 

By Wednesday evening we were in Canada.  And had made it through customs.  I even embarassed myself and jumped out of the car for this picture while waiting in a line of cars.  I'm sure the other passengers enjoyed the show. 
Our first destination was Banff, Alberta.  We got into town late in the evening.  Walked around town a bit.  Got some food.  And then crashed.  But we were up bright and early the next morning for our visit to Lake Louise.  It's this awesome teal blue lake nestled between MASSIVE glaciers.  It was really beautiful.  I was amazed at the diversity of the crowd that was there. 
It was at Lake Louise that we began hiking.  We hiked and hiked and hiked.

(John at Mirror Lake)


 My handsome husband in front of the chateau on Lake Louise.
Then we headed down the road to hike to some water falls.  It was pretty cool.  It was also at this point that we started to realize that our joints were a little sore.
 But getting to climb through a little passage through the mountain to get up close and personal with the waterfall was totally worth it. 
 Then we pondered the soreness of our joints some more.
After our hikes we headed back to Banff where we got some much needed food and walked around the town.  Banff was beautiful.  I wish we could have stayed there another day.



 But alas we headed off to Calgary....for the actual main event of our trip.  We don't just travel willy-nilly!  We were in Calgary for the Mormon History Association's annual history conference and award ceremony because John's book that was published last year, The Nauvoo High Council and City Minutes, won an award!  Awesome right?!  We made the trip so we could be there when he was awarded it.   I only got pictures of John going up to get his award.  Had I been thinking I woould have taken far more pictures, but I guess we were just focusing on talking and eating too much.
The rest of our time in Calgary was spent hanging with the locals. Although I have little pictoral proof because I completely forgot the camera one day.  Lame!  I have a friend that grew up a couple of hours away from Calgary so she totally told us where to get the best poutine.  Costco.  That's right, we took time to go to Costco in Calgary.  And you know what we learned?  I'm way more keen on Canadian cuisine than John.  I would have eaten Costco poutine every day.  I thought it was delicious.  I now feel jipped that I'm not offered gravy with fries at every restraunt I go to. 

We also visited "Super Store"  (Canada's Target/Walmart).  We enjoyed our time there but were surprised to learn that we had to buy our grocery bags.  We were even more surprised when I sent John out to get a cart that you had to pay $1 to use a cart.  Crazy!

We went to the Olympic Park, which was a bit of a let down if I'm being completely honest.  Went to China town (there is a surprisingly large Asian community in Calgary).  Went to Prince Island (a little island in the middle of the city with huge parks on it),  We also went to the mall.  John was great and tolerated shopping with me for hours.  Fun right!  We drove to a delicious bbq place where I had my first pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw....yum!  We also embraced the Canadians love of icecream.  Seriously, I've never seen more icecream places in my life.  Every corner I tell you!





I wish I would have taken more pictures (although I'm sure you are perfectly content with the number I took :).  But it was a fantastic little get away.  The drive was long, but it was worth it.  Northern Idaho and Canada are beautiful!  I'm hoping someday we'll be able to go again.....when the kids are older :)  Thanks for winning an award John so we could go!

6 comments:

shellydinger said...

I loved all the pictures. Jess you look great, I love your hair long. I'm glad you guys got to get away for awhile. I've always heard of the Banff film festival - but the actual place looks gorgeous!

SD and EJ said...

Fun!! I have a friend from Calgary and she says it's the greatest place on earth. And congrats to John!

KT said...

I just want to say I'm so happy you got that first picture! Seriously, what a treasure! :)

I love all the pictures and "too many pictures" is not a real thing, in my opinion.

Looks super fun! Glad you got to go on a trip and CONGRATS to John. That is so awesome!

Elizabeth said...

You have lived my dream! My grandma has a huge painting of Lake Louise hanging in her living room and I've always wanted to go! Someday.... Glad you were able to get away without the kids for a few days.

lisa said...

Since I may never get to go to Canada I loved seeing it through your eyes(or camera) So proud of John and his award! Was it white or brown gravy on the fries? kinda sounds gross...

Sheri said...

After scrolling through the most recent couple of posts where you have pictures of yourself, I gotta tell ya - you look foxy woman!!! Whoo-hoo! No wonder John wanted to take you to Canada. =)