Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Moment of Peace

Often times things in my home feel chaotic and out of control.  There is often someone watching TV, someone fighting, someone playing piano, someone fighting, someone yelling, someone crying, someone singing, and probably someone else fighting...unless of course no one is home.  But the other night we had a moment of peace.  It was actually on Emmie's birthday.  I had made the kids turn the TV off because I just couldn't handle the noise any more.  What happened next was almost magical.  Emmie and Ainsley started playing a game at the table.  Quietly.  Owen headed outside to rake leaves.  And I just sat and watched.  As I watched I just had a moment where I thought, everything really is going to be okay.  Owen causes us quite a bit of trouble and sometimes heartache, but as I watched him work and problem solve on his own I felt at peace with all of it.  He is actually a good kid when he is engaged.  And he is a hard worker when he wants to be.  He has so many good qualities that he will be able to develop over his lifetime.  My moment of calm that night was very short lived and also very welcomed.

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

Your descriptions of Owen reminded me so much of Beckett. The heartache and trouble more commonly outweigh the good qualities. But the hope that one day everything will balance out is a good one. Congrats on your few minutes.

Kohl said...

Tender Mercies. A few minutes of peace is a tender mercy for me. Glad you got to have one.

Melanie said...

I love this post, Jess! It seems like our lives here are constant chaos and constant noise too. But you're right -- everything will be okay. One day I'm sure I'll miss all the craziness. :)