Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ice Cream It Is.....

Ainsley has shown a real interest in cooking lately.  She always wants to help bake, cook, and make her own food.  I haven't been very good at encouraging this.  Partly because it's not very advantageous to me.  I usually end up with a large mess...and we all know how I hate messes!  Today Ains was begging to make cookies and I remembered how recently a friend of mine had written on her blog that her 7 year old daughter made cookies all by her self.  So I decided to push aside my hatred of messes and let her have at it.  I told her that if she would clean up after herself she could make her beloved cookies all by herself.  And so she did.  She worked for a VERY long time to get her cookies ready to go in the oven. She had a few questions along the way but was figuring out everything quite well, even considering she was doubling the recipe!  When time came to put the cookies on the cookie sheets I swiped a bite of the dough.  Something was wrong.  Very wrong.  We read over the recipe and tried to find the mistake.  We eventually realized that instead of adding 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda she had added 1 1/2 C. of baking soda.  1 1/2 CUPS!!!!  The dough was so, so very bad.  We dumped it in the garbage immediately.  We would have started over but we were out of Crisco.  So now we sit cookie-less and messy.  Props to Ains for trying, and for doing an appropriate amount of cleaning for a 9 year old!  But it looks like ice cream will be the treat tonight!

5 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Sad! Good thing you tasted the dough before cooking all of them. I'm sure they'll be perfect next time. :)

alene said...

Is there anyone who has NOT made a similar mistake?

shellydinger said...

very Funny.

KT said...

Oh no! Poor girl (and you!). My sister once made the same mistake - only with SALT! blaaah.

I have learned through experience with my oldest that any desire to make cookies comes with the added responsibility to clean EVERYTHING up. Kids are the messiest cooks in the universe. I try to teach them how to cook in a clean-as-you-go way. . . but they are still kids.

I have also learned that anyone who cooks has to come and discuss the recipe with me. I go over all the ingredients and amounts and the procedure with them, so we can hopefully avoid mistakes. It helps, but is not always a guarantee! Good luck! And you know me..........i LOVE ice cream! :)

Sydney Okazaki said...

Has mom read this? She will have a story to tell you. Let's just say I know how Ains feels...