Monday, August 10, 2009

Owen is 3!

Owen's birthday might have been a bust, had he been any older. As luck would have it, 3 year olds aren't that picky...and so the day was a success.

For some reason this August has been particularly cold, so Owen wore his coat and slippers for the morning of his birthday. After eating his requested Cream of Wheat for breakfast, it was time to figure out his day since the rain was hindering our planned outing. Originally we were going to take Owen on a little day trip to the mountains for his birthday. That plan got scrapped. Then we decided that we would just take him fishing that morning with his new fishing pole. Fishing in the rain didn't sound that fun, so we held out, hoping that the afternoon would be better. John took him to get balloons and such that morning, and that alone made the morning a hit.
By mid afternoon things had dried out a bit and it wasn't too hot, so we let him open up his new pole (which is the same one his grandma gave him last year, but he ruined it) and headed out to a pond to try some fishing.
Owen was perfectly content although it was clear as soon as we got there that there wouldn't be any fish caught that day. There was a rubber fish on the end of his pole and so Owen caught something every time. He would cast his line in and then say, "I got somping!" "I caught one!"
Although all there really was to catch was moss. John got some good moss for us!
There were a ton of ducks in the pond too...feeding the ducks entertained the kids for a long time!
Since we decided not to go camping for his birthday, we headed over to Grandma and Grandpa's fire pit to roast hot dogs for dinner. Unfortunately it wasn't warm enough to swim...but that meant it was cool enough for a fire!
After dinner we had some ice cream cake complete with Mickey Mouse frisbee. (Cookie dough crust, vanilla ice cream, and magic shell topping...pretty yummy, if I do say so myself!) Am I a genius or what?

Owen got tons of cool toys and was hilarious to watch open presents. He was so excited about each one. I think he got through his presents in record time. It was like watching a mad man, but a super happy mad man.
John wanted to get Owen his first remote control car and it was a hit...I'm sure there will be many hours of remote control fun during the upcoming year!
I asked Owen what his favorite part of his birthday was...the answer....presents and cake. I love that little kids are so easy to please. I need to remember that, I tend to get carried away and want to plan big activities.
Owen got a new shirt and tie for his birthday. It cracks me up that he loves wearing a tie and belt to church. So here he is looking all snazzy with his sister before church!

3 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Happy birthday Owen! I think the day sounds fun. You guys are geniuses for putting a rubber fish on the end of his pole. That's hilarious. And I'm super jealous it's been cold there.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of him in his coat. Hilarious!

**KT

(And he is so cute.....could he please marry my daughter? She may be a year older than him, but still...then we could be related! sorta, at least.)

Val said...

I can't believe he's 3! Happy late bithday! Your cake really is ingenious!