Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ahh, to be young again.

I often say that I would love to relive my college days. Specifically my sophomore year, and most of my freshman year, and the summer after my sophomore year...it was all awesome! I don't know that I would like to relive the whole year and go to classes again, but I would love to show up on any given night or weekend just to hang out and be carefree again. I firmly believe that the time spent single in college is the most selfish time in a persons life. It is also typically is short lived, and therefore usually looked back on with fondness.

Since I do not currently own a time machine and can't relive my college days, I try to live vicariously through others. Specifically my sister Syd, who just finished her freshman year at BYU. She is home for the summer and kind of bored because she has few friends (who does when they come home for summer after being in college, right? I mean there's a reason people choose to spend their summers at school after their boring summer home after their freshman year of college right?)

I worry that my vicarious living may have reached a new low however. On Saturday night I transposed myself into a young single adult again. That's right, I ditched my family and went to a young single adult activity. Not so much to hang out with other young single adults, but more because it was at a water park. And I happen to be married to someone who hates water parks and thrill rides, and my children are too young and too short to enjoy the water park. And it was free! And I'm completely cheap, so usually if an activity is free.....I'm in!

I must say that I loved it! I loved going through the park without a care in the world. Going on all the rides without worrying about kids or time. Averting my eyes from the guys I saw that I went to high school with and my friends parents who were the adult leaders there. I felt like I was 20 again. Although, truth be told, I always feel like I'm 21. It would have been nice though if after my careless night of not worrying about time I could have come home and slept through the night instead of waking up twice to feed a baby.

And yet on some level it was even more enjoyable because I got to go home and be a wife and mother again and not worry about boys or what people thought of me. I just got to go be the crazy mom that was hanging out with the college kids trying to relive her glory days.

3 comments:

EJ said...

That is so cool! If I lived in Boise, I would totally have gone with you. I bet you had more fun than everyone there.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I would seriously have gone with you too,.....water parks are so awesome. Glad you had fun!

**KT

Kohl said...

That is sweet! How fun to live like a single for just one evening! Way to have a night off! BTW, our sophomore year was awesome!