Saturday, December 18, 2010

A few things I may have missed.....

Here are a list of things I should have written about already...but haven't.

Ainsley's Christmas program. Not to brag or anything, but she got a speaking part and got to play the xylophone. Just sayin'.
Not sure why I like this picture, but I do. It's Owen and I waiting for Ainsley's Christmas program. I'm not embarrassed to be trying to clean my shirt with my own spit.
And not that I should have written about this, but I have a picture so I'll share.

The bulletin board that Ainsley's teacher had me make this month. (I made Ainsley stand in front of it after her music performance.) I'm not at all crafty, so when her teacher drew me a sketch and requested a 3D fireplace in 45 minutes, I created this. Kind of weird looking, but huge. And hard to do seeing as how kids were on the computers I was climbing over as I was making the darn thing.
The ugly sweater birthday party I assembled (I can't say I planned it because it wasn't my idea.) But I "coordinated" it. Plus I looked good. Especially because I wore a green jumper and crazy boots. But I still lost the prize to my friend Katie who showed up with a Christmas tree sweater she had duct taped a strand of lights and battery pack to the inside. It was awesome.
Owen's Christmas program. His class sang at a nursing home for people with Alzheimer's. Owen was a little scared of the man sitting next to him. I think Owen thought he looked a little scary. But the performance was adorable. And it even stirred up controversy among our children over whether the old people should be called grandmas and grandpas or senior citizens. Guess who thought each name was appropriate?
Emmie also got a HUGE goose egg on her head. This is the only -sort of- picture I have of the aftermath. The goose egg looked awful. But it was funny that she got it because I put her in her first pair of semi-restrictive pants (jeans) and she had trouble walking in them.
Emmie also sat in a pot this month. It was a big day in our family.
Did I say I wasn't crafty? I guess I meant I was crafty. Because I totally made this. All by myself.
We also had a snow day! I have no pictures of the kids playing in the snow. But I promise we had more than this picture shows. I shoveled over a foot of snow off of our drive way. And when snow like that falls in Boise the schools close. Because people here haven't heard of snow plows. Or rather, no one has bothered to start a business of running snowplows because it wouldn't be profitable to work 2 days every 4 years.
And last but not least. John and I had our 10 year anniversary. We did a mystery shop for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory with Emmie. She really liked the anniversary date. John has some big surprise plan for the week after Christmas, as per my request. I told him a date after Christmas would be much more enjoyable. But for not being flashy, I have to say that I really enjoyed our anniversary. John stayed home because both of the kids had music performances. We had a relaxed morning, watched kids sing, did a little shopping, ate out for lunch AND dinner (who does that if they're not on vacation!?) and hung out with the kids that night and squeezed in a movie. It was the type of day where you just enjoy your family. Which doesn't always happen. So I'm glad that it happened on a day 10 years after we tied the knot. (And I'm posting a picture of Emmie to go along with this because we take pictures of her...not ourselves.)

6 comments:

SD and EJ said...

I loved this post and I have like a zillion comments. The picture of you and Owen is hilarious. The bulletin board looks awesome. As always, the green sweater rocks. Owen's face at his program is so cute! I once had to perform at a care center for old handicapped people and I went home and cried for like three hours afterwards. Poor little Emmie! I love the picture of her in the pot. It reminds me of some pictures Shelly had of Hailey when she was younger. I think she really liked a pot or something. I LOVE the stocking holder thing. It might be cuter than stockings on a mantle. And it will look even cuter when it has homemade stockings that you make yourself when I make up a pattern and send it to you. And I'm glad you had a good anniversary. I agree, most days with your family are just exhausting; it's nice to have a day when your husband is home and you aren't stressed and it's just fun. And last, Emmie is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Ya, I pretty much was going to say the same thing as the person above. So, now I get to take the easy road and just say: ditto that. Loved the post and all the pics. :)

**KT

Alene said...

That picture of Emmie at the end is adorable, and totally appropriate because if you hadn't tied the knot, she wouldn't be here!

Kohl said...

I'll take the really easy road and ditto all the above comments! I wish Ashlyn had enough hair to look as cute as Emmie's! :)

Elizabeth said...

Happy Anniversary to my favorite friend in Boise!!! I wish it was only your 8th anniversary and that you'd lived with me at The Riv for two more years.... Btw I hear The Riv isn't as glamorous as it used to be.... What in the heck is a "mystery shop?" I'm glad Emmie wasn't sitting "on the pot." However, it is socially acceptable to post a picture of "in the pot."

shellydinger said...

Loved this post! I love all of Emmie's hair, and I would never be able to pull off any type of bulletin board, let alone a HUGE one. Bravo. Do you have a machine that will print out those letters for your stocking sign? Or did you paint it? and finally: who doesn't clean their shirt with spit occassionally? Merry Christmas!