Thursday, December 9, 2010

What's up with my kids?

The holidays are in full swing. So much so that I feel like I don't have a moment to catch my breath. Last year I was organized and had cute Christmas activities for us to do every day. This year we'll be lucky if we do more than 2 Christmasy things before Christmas! Whether it's school, Christmas parties, or primary, I seem to never have a minute to catch up.

And then yesterday I was forced to slow down.

I took Owen and Emmie to the doctor.

Emmie has rectal strep. That's about as pleasant as it sounds. Apparently babies don't get strep in their throats...they get it elsewhere.

Owen's tonsils are so large we've been referred to an ENT to see if they need to be removed. What's odd though is that he doesn't have strep. Just big tonsils. Crazy big. It's a little scary. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks if it's worth taking them out. Our doctor told us that for some reason large tonsils and bed wetting are linked. We've been dealing with bed wetting for quite some time now. So if taking out his tonsils will solve our bed wetting woes....I think it might be worth it. (That's my selfish take on the whole procedure.)

And Ainsley has an appointment this month as well with a gastro-entonologist (that may or may not be the actual word or actual spelling...I'm too lazy to look it up). Although now that we have an appointment scheduled she hasn't thrown up in over 3 weeks. But you can bet that if I were to cancel the appointment she would throw up that very same day. So we'll keep the appointment. Although I'm guessing that they tell us that either nothing is wrong, or that they want to do invasive tesing, which I don't think I'm willing to do.

So there you have it. Each of my kids has a health issue. Which is rare. We're usually a pretty healthy bunch!

3 comments:

Alene said...

Better to have Owen's tonsils out now than wait til he's 40 like I did.

EJ said...

Poor Emmie!! That sounds awful. Is she really sick? And I say good move keeping Ainsley's appointment. You know she would probably puke right after you got off the phone to cancel it. I hope they all get better soon. :)

shellydinger said...

When it rains it pours right? They are all such unusual sounding things too. I've never even heard of rectal strep! I hope everything is calmer (healthwise) before Christmas. Good luck Jess.