Thursday, December 5, 2013

A once in a lifetime event.

I got a call from Kortney in November.  She wanted someone to make stockings with her.  I reluctantly said yes.  This task has been on my to do list for a decade.  Literally.  When John and I were newlyweds I bought some fuzzy red and white stockings at Target on clearance for $1.50 a piece.  Just to hold us over until I made some.  And then I decided I should wait to make them until our family was complete. Or at least that's what I told myself.  Really it was just a task I was dreading.

Kort and I worked on these for what seems like forever.  We planned, watched you tube, videos, shopped, and got in way over our heads.  I had to make many phone calls to people who actually knew how to sew along the way.

Since we are completely unskilled we decided to quilt the stockings as well!  Smart, right?  I'm not sure why I thought I should try out a new skill on something that I planned on lasting forever.  I honestly never want to have to make these again.  But alas, the stocking are finally done!  And I think they turned out pretty well.  They are full of mistakes.  If I get motivated one day I might sew around the top again so that the ric rac lays better.  And I'm going to have John's mom embroider our names on the cuffs the next time we make a trip to Utah. But other than that they are complete.  Now go ahead, tell me how pretty they are!  (Oh, and Kortney's turned out pretty cute too...same design, just different fabric.)


6 comments:

EJ said...

They turned out so, so cute! I told you you could sew. Mine have mistakes too (like the candy cane stripes going different ways on all the stockings). And I can't see any mistakes on yours, so they must not be big. I love them! Good job!

alene said...

Very nice. I'm impressed.

shellydinger said...

The look beautiful Jessica! The rickrack really does finish them off nicely. The teal fabric thrown in there is my favorite. Nicely done! (where did you get the stocking hanger?)

jessica said...

Shelly, I made the stocking hanger a few years ago because we have never had a fireplace. It's a nice alternative :)

KT said...

Jess, they are amazing! I am super impressed! I want you to make some for me. . . . :)

Kohl said...

SO cute!! Well done!!