Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ward Party

Our ward Christmas party was this past weekend and Ainsley had the honor of playing Mary in the little nativity the primary kids did. My mom worked hard and frantically sewed her a simple little costume the night before. It took her about an hour from start to finish, it would have taken me 2 days. I owe her big time. Ains looked great and did an amazing job.

Her lines were, "I am Mary the mother mild, how I love my tiny child. I am the baby asleep in the hay, I am the reason for Christmas day."

Ainsley depicted a beaten and worn down Mary. If you look closely at her eye you will see the injury she obtained hours before the party, thanks to her little brother.

Of course the kids got to see Santa! It was so funny to watch Owen's reaction. He was so excited and so nervous. When we got inside the room Santa was in Owen nervously walked past all the kids in line and quietly stood next to Santa. I had to go get him to wait his turn in line. He rehersed to me his Christmas list moments before it was his turn on the Big Guy's lap...and when Santa asked what he wanted I could see his mind racing. He was quite for a long time and looked around (I could tell his mind had gone blank). After a minute he finally said a puppy. It was really sweet.
Ainsley on the other hand was completely enthusiastic. It is so interesting to watch my kids in similar circumstances and see how truly different they are. Ainsly without hesitation told Santa what she wanted and explained where her injury came from when he asked. You can just see how different they are by the looks on their faces.

After Santa there was a band and dancing. The kids had a blast!


I think my favorite moment of the night was when I told Owen to ask his little friend Brighton to dance. He walked up and asked her and they held hands until the music started and then they danced together the entire song. It was adorable. I think we have 20 pictures of that alone!
Toward then end they both showed off their best moves. Owen's crabwalk and Brighton spun on the floor in her silky dress. A great looking couple if you ask me!

4 comments:

Alene said...

Ains was definately the cutest girl in the program!!

Elizabeth said...

I love that Owen's girlfriend is named Brighten. If we have a little girl, Russ wants to name her Brighton after his alma mater since we named our son Davis. He says it in jest, and I actually really like the name, but should we have a girl, there will have to be a discussion...after all, any other kids we had would feel left out...

Kohl said...

Wow! What a Ward Christmas Party. The Nativity looks very well done, and you even had a band. Fun! Our ward is so big that we only have a dinner and short program. We can barely fit our ward into the cultural hall! :)

EJ said...

How cute is Owen with that girl?! Adorable. Our ward Christmas party was lame. Sister Shackelford was in charge of it and now the bishop is going to release her because the party was so awful. Our primary kids did do a nativity thing that was pretty cute, though.