Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's over, and here's a wordy recap!

So, I was waiting for pictures to post...but since I am at the mercy of others because I didn't have a camera all week, I'll go ahead and do a picture free post and add pictures later.

First of all, I did in fact survive the week..............barely. Owen was sick all week. The poor kid was in a lot of pain and spent his days on the couch or playing wii. His strep tests all came back negative and so his diagnosis was tonsillitis. We were just waiting it out while he was in a lot of pain. On Thursday his tonsils were completely white and he was in more pain so I took him to the doctor again. They did another strep test and a mono test, both of which came back negative, and sent us home saying that he just had a nasty virus. Luckily by Saturday (today) his tonsils were no longer white and he seems to be finally recovering.

I also ended up having a great birthday. My friends threw me a brunch, and even found me a sitter for Owen since I couldn't take him in public. It was the greatest 2 hours! After being stuck in the house for a week it was so nice to get out. Although I called John late the night before almost in tears because I felt guilty leaving my sick child at home while I left to hang out with friends. To which he replied, "Jess, you need to get out of the house. Owen will be fine." And he was right. It was a great morning...I have great friends!

I came home and had a lazy afternoon while my mom took Ains to her house and they made me a cake. Later that night my parents came over and we made pizza's had cake and opened presents. Apparently I needed some help in the accessory department because between my friends, parents, kids and John, I got a jewelery box, 2 bracelets, 3 new beaded watch bands, and 2 pairs of earrings and a necklace. I will now look very cute!

I ate a ton of food for 2 days (because I had to eat all my leftovers the day after my birthday)...I'm pretty sure I at least doubled my weight watchers points both days. Oh well, it was worth it!

The kids did a lot for me on my b-day too. John had them make some decorations before he left. Ains drew me some pretty scenery pictures and Owen drew me a picture of me as a baby and a trash can. If that's not thoughtful, I don't know what is. My mom helped the kids decorate with streamers and balloons while I ran an errand, and the kids even wrapped their gifts all by themselves. They did a surprisingly good job!

So all in all my birthday ended up being a great day!

We picked up John on Thursday night. I was looking forward to having some relief more than anything else. Between Emmie and Owen I had been woken up almost hourly for 4 mights in a row and I was really dragging. I don't know how single parents survive, or how women with husbands that travel a lot, survive. Basically, I need help. Maybe it was just the circumstances of the week, but I couldn't have done it on my own. I had to have help with my kids and help even getting to the store. I'm sure another week would have been easier, and it would have been easier without a baby, but still!

John spent the week eating. He said he had ribs every day he was gone. And while his conference was good, I don't think it was good enough to erase the slight tinge of guilt he felt due to the sickness, and exhaustion that filled my week.

But he's home now, we're all healthy, happy and back to normal.

And he even taught Emmie to roll over tonight! That's right, Emmie rolled over! Maybe it was a fluke, but I'm counting it!


I got a picture! Here's part of the group of my wonderful friends. We're missing 4 in this picture...but it's the best I got! (Wendy, Natalie, Me, Christina, Natalie, Lisa, Brooke)

4 comments:

Aimee said...

I am glad you survived the week. Also that you had a good birthday....wish I could have been there to celebrate with you!

EJ said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday and I'm glad John is back home. Being a single mom is no fun. Hopefully that little Owen feels totally better soon.

lisa said...

glad all the "buzz" on your bday was fun! what a cute beehive cake too. Must BEE great to BEE so loved!! hee hee :) Lisa

Brooke said...

I look like I'm on my way to go sledding. What's up with that? LOL.