Sunday, February 14, 2010

V-Day 2010

My valentine's weekend started out fabulously because I got my new microwave, cupboard, and oven all up and running Saturday morning. The guy that cut down our old cupboard is a genius...I think it all turned out fabulously! I lost a bit of cupboard space but it was well worth it.

Saturday night John and I went on a date with some friends. We went to dinner and to the dollar theater to see New Moon. Dinner and the company was great, but I didn't love the movie. John hated it. Maybe I would have liked it better had I seen it the first time with a bunch of girls on opening night, but since I had just given birth at that point, I guess we'll never know. The acting was just a little too painful for me at times, a lot of times...but I digress...

Today the kids woke us up bright and early, and despite our best efforts to send them back to bed, our day started out early. We've been doing the 7 days of Valentines for the kids (every morning they've woken up to small little gifts like pencils, candies, etc.) and unfortunately day 7 was a bust because Ains came to our room declaring that she hates the candy that I put out for them in their own little tins. Who hates heart suckers and gummie hearts? My daughter, the twinkie hater, apparently! We then had pink heart shaped pancakes for breakfast. And Ains and I had fun making her hair look like a heart this morning.

Pretty impressive huh!? I thought it turned out cute! Although I'm just a big copycat, at least I'm a good copycat! :) We went to church and then came home and had heart shaped pizza, watched a movie, and had pink strawberry milkshakes for dessert. And the night will end with the kids having a sleepover with John tonight. Poor Owen fell asleep during the movie though and is missing the quality wii time that John and Ains are currently enjoying. Poor guy.


And now if I may reminisce for a moment...There was a death in our ward today that has made me stop and think a bit. The woman that died was in her 80's, so while she had lived a good life, she was so full of spunk that her death was a total shock. Her name was Vee, and I always thought that was kind of cool. She was the nicest and most outgoing woman. She had a cherry tree and let people come and pick cherries every year. Last year we headed over and she was out picking with us and she taught Owen how to eat a cherry off the tree. I always thought that I wanted to be like her when I got older. She was so funny and full of life. I loved her comments in relief society and I loved how much fun she was still having in life.

For some reason I have a fear that something tragic is going to happen in my family. I think I'm just a paranoid mother, but for some reason it is a real fear of mine. Her accident yesterday has just reminded me how precious life is. Who would have thought that last week was the last time I would have the chance to talk to her. It's just so scary to think of the accidents that happen so unexpectedly.

And on another random note, because I have too much time to think apparently, I was just thinking about last years valentine's day. I don't remember anything but the fact that I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. And I was crushed. And John felt bad for me and so he let me choose the movie for the night and we watched Little Women. I wouldn't have been depressed that night had I known I actually was pregnant and that little Emmie was on the way. What a blessing!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a fear that something tragic will happen. When Russ blessed Davis, he didn't say any of the traditional stuff about going on a mission, getting married in the temple, etc. and it made me paranoid!

Alene said...

Ains' hair is beautiful!!
I think all mothers are paranoid. Actually, I 'm still that way, especially when I travel and have to make myself stop thinking that way. And if it's any consolation, I gave a lesson on death a couple of years ago and there was a quote from Pres. Kimball that said that everyone has an appointed time to die. You can shorten your life through sin or bad choices (like doing drugs, etc.) but you can't lengthen it. That quote actually helps me not worry so much. And i think Heavenly Father watches out for little kids--otherwise most of them wouldn't make it to the age of 12.

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen looks awesome and so does Ains' hair!

Oh, and I worry constantly.....I just have to FORCE myself to have faith that everything will be ok. Thank goodness for the gospel!

**KT

EJ said...

I still haven't seen New Moon. Maybe I'll rent it someday when it comes on video. Ainsley's hair looks awesome. I'm way impressed! And I get paranoid too. Every time EJ goes to work, I always have this thought that I hope he comes back. And, this is going to show you what a complete weirdo I am, but every time I buy fabric, I worry that I'll die before I get to make something with it. Luckily, my sister said if I die she'll learn to make quilts and use all my fabric. :)

Aimee said...

Sorry you didn't like New Moon.....I just saw it and I loved it! But I wasn't real crazy about the first one.

I have the same fears that you do....I just try not to think about it. Ha!

Dinger said...

Love the kitchen!!

lisa said...

hey i enjoyed reading your blog updates!! your kitchen looks fabulous!!!! lisa