Sunday, February 21, 2010

Let's hope it doesn't get any worse

Not to complain or anything...but today was terrible!!! Yesterday was fine. The kids were good and I had friends come over to watch a movie with me last night, although we never actually watched a movie, just talked until 2:00 in the morning. It was a lot of fun, although it made today a little rough.

Today when I woke up I had an ah ha moment. Owen's voice sounded funny yesterday and I brushed it aside thinking it was just a cold, today when he still sounded funny and had no symptoms I decided to take a look at his throat. It looked AWFUL!!! It was completely swollen and had white splotches all over his tonsils. Instead of going to church we went to an insta-care place where they swabbed his throat and the strep test came back negative. He's been acting pretty normal, even getting in trouble, and hasn't had a fever. They are growing a culture right now and we'll know Tuesday morning if it's strep or tonsillitis. I wanted to get him on an anti-biotic soon so I wasn't stuck home all week. The Dr. there wouldn't give me a prescription until strep was diagnosed. I will probably start him on some anti-biotic illegally tomorrow anyways. I'm hoping it's strep so we can do something about it and not just have to wait it out.

Emmie has also made it a little difficult. She's been completely needy, or maybe I was neglecting her a little too much. Sometimes I wonder why I never have the children that just naturally sleep through the night at 6 weeks. Today was one of those exhausted days where I was desperate for her to take more than a 20 minute nap and sleep for more than 2 hours at a time at night...no such luck.

I was completely selfish and bummed about my week all day. I'm stuck at home, can't run errands, can't get the kids out of my house, might have to miss a birthday party with my friends. I'm hoping it all works out and I'm just being overly dramatic. How selfish is it that I was more worried about me than Owen. Maybe it was the fact that he was sick and still getting in trouble that made the day that much harder to swallow. How do single parents do it?!!!! Here's to hoping tomorrow's a little better. (At least my attitude :)

6 comments:

Aimee said...

I hate it when kids are too needy than what you can give them at the time...it's so hard! But it happens to all of us. You will get through it.... :)

shellydinger said...

Complain! John is gone, you are getting through it on your own, sick kids, needy baby. If it were me I'd be afraid of what I'd do to my kids if I didn't vent to someone. But you know you can do it, right? I guess you don't really have a choice. Keep going! Schedule out your days a bit and it'll go by much faster.

EJ said...

I hope Owen does have strep (not because I want him to be sick, but because that same thing happened to Ash and she didn't have strep and it's so annoying when you don't have any medicine to give them). Sometime this week, drop all three kids off at your mom's house and go shopping or something.

Kohl said...

Everything happens when your spouse is gone. At least that is what is seems like for me. Sorry you have to be a single mom this week. Hope you still get to have a fun birthday!!

Dinger said...

I am so, so, so, sorry! That really stinks. I hope you can get through this week. When John get's back be sure to take a little R & R! You deserve it.

Melanie said...

Hey Jess, happy birthday today! I hope you have a great day!