Monday, August 2, 2010

The Life Jacket

A few months ago I bought Owen a life jacket. I knew we would be in lakes or rivers more than once this summer, so I decided it was time he had his own. He's been very excited to use this life jacket. So much so that on occasion he would wear it with his myriad of other protective gear while riding his 3 wheeler on the sidewalk. Lookin' good Owen.....Lookin' good!
Finally he had an opportunity to use his life jacket. He technically didn't need one, seeing as how the river we were in was only about 6 inches deep, but he didn't let that stop him. He fully submersed himself in the FREEZING cold water. I'm sure it was to check out the floating capabilities of his life jacket.
Days later he was excited when he was able to pull out his life jacket and use it again. This time however the life jacket was mandatory for water play. We spent the day on boats and jet ski's (courtesy of my ritzy sister and her in-laws :). Owen was very brave. But soon discovered he liked his life jacket more for swimming than cruising on the water. Let's just say that speed was not his thing. I did love it though when he held onto a handle every moment that he was in the boat. He thought of it as more of a ride.
And then, only a week later, he got to use his life jacket again!!! Lucky boy! This time it was for our little day trip to McCall. (Camping trip turned day trip due to my back suddenly going out. Boo.)
None the less, he had fun in the lake swimming, and playing in the sand on the beach. Pretty much a little boy's dream come true.
Oh, and Ainsley got to use her life jacket too. She was much more excited about speed than Owen.
And enjoyed her time in the lake and on the beach just as much as Owen.
And I got to use my life jacket too. I was joking when I took this picture. Ironically, we tipped over about 10 seconds after this was shot. So my life jacket got good use. I also used my life jacket a lot when I tried to wake board, after a 10 year hiatus. Lets just say I'm not able to do that anymore. And I have the battle wounds to prove it.
And last but not least, while Emmie had a life jacket made available to her, she currently lacks a neck. And therefore was very uncomfortable and hated her life jacket. So she spent her time on the beach in her pack n' play in the shade. She was very good considering she spent 2 Saturday's in a row in that thing. What a good baby!

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

Owen is so funny. My kids hate their life jacket (currently sharing one),I think it must have a lot to do with chunky neck thing too.

SD and EJ said...

Owen is so super cute! And I'm totally jealous you have such a ritzy sister. :)

Kohl said...

My kids are not fans of the speed thing either. I finally got Liam to ride slow with me on the waverunner, but Gavin absolutely refused to get on. Looks like you guys have been have some great fun!