Sunday, April 17, 2011

Memories

And now for a walk down memory lane. We will be visiting memories dealing with sports while I was attending the BYU.

#1 My freshman year at BYU I took a volleyball PE class with my cousin Tifani. Intermediate volleyball mind you. Towards the end of the semester we were sitting in class and decided that we wanted to skip it. I don't think we realized that we were in college and could have just walked out and no one would have given it much thought. Instead, we felt the need to sneak out of class so as not to get caught. So we waited for what we thought was an opportune moment to sneak out of a back door to the gym. When the moment finally came we quickly opened the door and snuck out. It was then that we took a moment to look at our surroundings. We were on the far side of the RB, (for those familiar with BYU) the side that backs the hill. We were standing on a little pad of cement, in our BYU issue shorts and t-shirts, surrounded by several inches of snow. We had to then make our way around the building, freezing, with no sidewalks to walk on, and all for the sake of saving our pride. I'm pretty sure that by the time we made it back to the locker room, not only were we freezing cold, but the rest of our class was most likely already dressed and on their way. Ahhh, freshman.



#2 Speaking of PE........My sophomore or junior year of college I decided to take a badminton class. I thought it would be funny, relaxing, and an easy A. The first day of class my teacher mentioned that he was an Olympian (can't remember if it was in badminton or not :) and very interested in health. I soon realized that this class wasn't going to be an easy one. We had to do training activities. I specifically remember walking over to the track as a class and running. For badminton!!!! He was very intense. And to make it worse, I stink at badminton. I was always on the losing team. And it was usually my fault I was on the losing team. I tried to make light of it, but no one thought I was very funny. Which was shocking to me, because I am very funny. I can't remember if I got an A in that class, but I probably did, since I was as awesome then as I am now.



#3 About the time that I was in my volleyball class, my cousin and I were also very into the men's volleyball team. They were awesome. The star of the team that year even went on to play in the Olympics. And the whole time I watched him play in the Olympics all I could think of was the time I witnessed him being pantsed (Seeing that word written makes me wonder if I've been saying it wrong my entire life) during a time-out of a huge game. We saw his bum. It was crazy. Also, Tifani and I had crushes on a couple of the players (not the one that got pantsed....seriously, how do you spell that word?) and so to be cool and not too stalker like we would run through the neighborhood that we heard they lived in. You know, just so we could casually bump into them and be like, "Hey, you guys are great volleyball players. Want to get together for a game sometime. We totally aced our intermediate volleyball class."



#4 One time I was running on the indoor track in the Smith Field House. FYI, there was a short track and a long track. Usually there were gates pulled down that closed off the long track and so I would usually just run on the short track. This particular day was no different. I was minding my own business running on the short track, when all of a sudden the gates FLEW open and the entire BYU football team (to clarify, I'm not sure if it was the entire team, but there were a lot of them!) was suddenly surrounding me, in full gear. In a matter of seconds I was surrounded and hoisted on their shoulders. Okay, so I wasn't hoisted on their shoulders but I was surrounded. And they were loud, and big, and intimidating in full gear. I just kept running and we probably ran about a half a lap together. It was terrifying and cool all at the same time. I hope it was as memorable for them as it was for me.



And there you have it, 4 completely random memories that I thought about the other night while laying awake in bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are totally cracking me up!

ha ha ha ha.........ah, BYU. Good times. :)

kt

shellydinger said...

hilarious Jessica. That was so fun to read. I never took a single sport class in college - you're making me regret it a little.

Kohl said...

Ha! You totally made my morning. So funny! Good old memories at BYU. What a great time that was.

Sheri said...

Yes, yes, I remember the Scott Bunker crush well. I had a class with him the next year and thought of you every time I saw him. Fun times Jess!

Sydney Okazaki said...

I realize this is a bit late, but it still may be fulfilling to have your question answered. The proper word is "depantsed". So you were almost spelling it right. :)