Thursday, August 23, 2012

Island Park part 3 of 3 (It's nearly over!)

Our final day in island park we weren't as productive. We were lazy all morning. And then made the drive to see Johnny Sack's cabin.  A cabin made by hand and with no power tools in the fifties by a man only slightly taller than Ainsley.
It was impressive. But Emmie said she hated it.  I love that she brought her purse though.  Appropriate for such a formal outing.
While we were there this moose darted out of the forest and ran into this little river area.  Not only have I never seen a moose so close up, I've never seen a moose run.  It was crazy.  Dan got nervous (understandably) and tried to hurriedly gather his children.  And then I chuckled a little, because when the moose stopped running it was funny instead of scary.
The water there was the clearest river water I've ever seen.  It was actually the start of the river.  It was beautiful.  We fed the fish and watched ducks and otters and the moose.

That afternoon the guys went fishing again and the women folk took the kids to play in the river.  You can float down the river, and I wanted to, buy certain members of my family were being party poopers and so we didn't have time to float.  So instead we rented paddle boats.  The water looked calm and nice.  So we rented two.  I learned an important lesson that day.  Still water isn't necessarily calm water.  We paddled our hearts out and didn't move at all.  But the river was only thigh deep, so being the tough women that we are.  We (me, Kort, Mom, Ains, and Bria) walked the boats upstream.  It was tough. And it took a while.  And Kort was mad the whole time, and I laughed the whole time.  And after a lot of pushing and walking up a river we finally turned around and enjoyed our 2 minute ride back to the docks.  It was great.  Kort didn't think so and stormed into the office and complained.  It was hilarious.  But she got us half of our money back!

The rest of our trip was spent eating, laughing, making fun of each other, playing games, and watching TV. Just like you should do on family vacations.

Top 10 Moments of the trip 

(You will only find these little snippets enjoyable if you were with us on vacation or know my family well.  I just happen to have been with my family on vacation and know them quite well, so I will probably enjoy them more than most.)
Emmie saying “I hate this” about almost everything we did. 
Dan running in fear and grabbing his children when the moose ran by us.
My dad beating everyone at tennis and getting a bit head, and then getting sorely defeated.
Kort complaining to the people that rent paddle boats and insisting that they give her her money back, with the defense that she is in good shape.  That statement alone is laughable.
Playing 'Telestrations' and my dad drawing a nurse that looked that a Scottish warrior, and Syd drawing a soup kitchen drawing that was interpreted as blue man group.
Watching the kids try to catch a fish with a plastic baggie.
Our car not starting as we tried to leave…that’s always fun.
Hiking out to look at Elk and getting told over a loud speaker to get back in our cars.
Watching “Miranda”, and laughing until I cried.
Walking up a river pushing a boat, with people looking at us like we were weird…what’s weird about that!?
And not to be cheesy…but just hanging out with the family and having a great time!

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

I loved reading each update. That looks like an awesome place for everyone to go!

KT said...

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you had fun! :)

EJ said...

I want to go there!