Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Caroling

We were invited to go caroling with some friends at a local retirement home.  So we headed out one evening and had a great time. 
Emmie with her best little buddy Elsie.  Aren't they adorable.
I always want my kids to have experiences like these but if I'm being completely honest, I'm not super comfortable around old people.  I don't like that about myself.  When I was little my mom worked with several elderly people and I remember going into their homes with my mom when she was taking care of them. She was always so comfortable around old people and so kind and loving towards them.  I always wished I had that skill.  I tried my best to hide my awkardness that night for Ainsley.  After we sang we had some time to mingle with a few of the residents.  I noticed Ainsley was a little nervous and so I sat and talked with a lady with her.  And it was actually enjoyable.  Turns out she was a teacher, and although she told us the same story at least four times, she was so happy that she was really a pleasure to talk to.  Ainsley didn't remember that she told us the same story multiple times, she just remembered the cute story that we heard about this woman getting to teach two of her grandchildren.
 
The evening was a nice reminder of the reason for the season.  Hopefully in the future I'll be better about planning opportunities like this for my family.

1 comment:

shellydinger said...

Our youth group used to have dances at nursing homes - and I always had the same uncomfortable feelings. Good for you for going anyway.