Thursday, June 20, 2013

Quick Trip to Utah

Our first 2 weeks of summer vacation were a bit of a whirlwind.  Not only did the kids have swimming lessons but we crammed in 2 little getaways.  John was a presenter at the Mormon History Convention in Layton and so since he had to make the trip anyways, we decided to go down with him...even though we barely got to see him.  We left Thursday after Owen's swim lesson and managed to cram a lot into 2 1/2 days.  We got to see John's parents for a bit before they abandoned us and headed off to Yellowstone (totally kidding :) and I got to see Steph and her kids for a few hours one morning.  The kids always like to get to know cousins that they don't get to see that much.  I, however, am lame and took no pictures of the kids together.  And I'm regretting that....

Friday afternoon we headed off to Provo to stay with my sister for the rest of the weekend.  We spent the afternoon killing some time on campus.  We went to the Palentology museum, which actually had a few cool things at it and then just wandered around campus.  I love being back on campus.  I miss it sometimes.


That night Syd and Cy made us sushi.  We were all brave and tried it.  I want to say that I'm cool and like sushi...but I don't.  Sorry sushi lovers. 
We also went to the nickel-cade and played lots and lots of games and a little bit of laser tag.  Good times.

We woke up the next morning we woke up and hiked the Y.  It may or may not have been a bit steeper than I remembered. But we did it.  My most memorable moment of the hike will most likely be the moment where I had had it with Ainsley's whining and I was telling her (perhaps in not the kindest tone) to get her legs moving!  We were going down hill for heaven's sake!  And a nice lade walked over and gently took her arm and led her down the mountain a bit.  Lame mom moment for sure.  We also saw a lot of lizards, so I guess the hike was still cool.

Then we immediately dropped Cy off for his soccer game.  I think he was a little tired seeing as how he had just climbed the side of a mountain. But his team still won so no harm done.
My kids look tiny running in the huge football field!
After that is was off to the splash pad.  After a quick trip to Walmart since I forgot Emmie's swimsuit.  Oops.

Then we all showered, because by this point in the day we all smelled, went to Café Rio for dinner, and then went to Springville to celebrate their city art days with them.  I think they were pretty glad we showed up.  We got there just in time to catch the end of a Beatles concert.  I was actually kind of impressed.  These guys sounded great.  And it was only slightly laughable that they were dressed to the nine's and even spoke in British accents.  They full on played the part of the Beatles.  And it was actually a lot of fun to listen to them.
Emmie was pretty tired by this point.....
After the concert was a great fireworks show.  A great end to the weekend I thought!  We were all exhausted and the kids crashed that night.  A perfect little getaway.


3 comments:

KT said...

Wow, you guys are party animals! Looks like fun! :)

Melanie said...

Where's the palentology museum? At BYU? Sounds like something Jack (the little scientist) would love, so we'll have to visit when we're there!

shellydinger said...

Is that spam in the sushi?