Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Best FHE Ever!

I had a very proud moment last night as a mother. My daughter planned an family home evening lesson all by herself. What was impressive was that her lesson included object lessons, a game, visuals, and hands on activities. She seriously did this on her own. She sat working at the table for a long time on Sunday night and would occasionally ask us how to spell a word. It seems I'm raising a little teacher! I'm seriously kicking myself now for not having out the camcorder before she started. Luckily John was able to get a few shots. And now, with out further adieu(because I have get as much of this down now as I can before I forget it) here is her lesson.

She told us that her lesson was about how to go back to live with heavenly father. She started out with a little object lesson. She build a course with our marble racer thingy that had 2 paths. One was a straight drop down and one had lost of twists and turns before reaching the bottom. She put a marble on each path and then pointed out that the one that dropped down straight got there fastest because it took a short cut. Just like we should do to live with heavenly father.

Then she had these 3 pieces of paper taped on the TV and had each member of the family come up to chose one and open it up.

Here are the 3 papers we unfolded.




After each one she told us that if we obeyed, loved others,etc., we will return to live with heavenly father.


Then she showed us a paper that had a bunch of drawings on it. If you look closely you can see the temple and a church.

Then she showed us a piece of paper that had a bunch of random letters on it. She asked (in her very teacherish voice) if the paper said anything. John and I were expecting her to make up something that it said instead she said, "It doesn't say anything. Just like when we're babies and we come to the earth and can't read." For some reason that caught me off guard and I couldn't stop laughing for a bit.
We were then given this puzzle (It was strips of paper) to put together. I think when the picture was done it was Heavenly Father and Jesus.



Next we played a game. Here is the game board.

The great thing about this game is that you don't need any pieces. You just put your finger on a square and then take turns moving your finger along the path. If you land on a square with a dot you lose a turn, but then you get to move 3 spaces on your next turn. Unfortunately this is only a 2 person game so we all had to take turns playing.

She also showed us that map that she had made that we needed to follow to get back to Heavenly Father.

She then got another picture she had drawn out of an envelope. She explained to us that this was a picture of Heavenly Father's money. And since Heavenly Father doesn't have a lot of money we need to pay tithing. (Interesting insight I thought.)

Last of all she showed us her back pack that she had filled full of food and explained to us that we need to be prepared because there isn't food in Heaven and so we need to have our own ready to go.

Like I said...best FHE ever! I just loved how I could see little bits and pieces of her primary lessons and past FHE's all packed into one awesome lesson.

12 comments:

Melanie said...

That is so so sweet! I am amazed at her gospel knowledge, but I'm also amazed at her ability to draw and write... You have me a little worried about Colin now. :)

Elizabeth said...

Okay, so that was the cutest thing ever!!! And I did audibly laugh at the part about the babies not knowing how to read, and the part about needing to pay tithing because Heavenly Father doesn't have enough. I am very impressed -- especially with her object lesson. What a smartie! And I bet it took her hours to prepare for her lesson, which was probably a great thing for you...

Lisa-Marie said...

Way to go Ainsley, but also way to go John and Jessica. She has obviously been taught well!!! Those moments make it all worth it, don't they!!?!?!?

SD and EJ said...

The best part is that I can totally picture her doing this whole thing. It's SO Ainsley. I love it! You guys should move here and she could teach sharing time for me.

Ashlee said...

She rocks!! That is very impressive.

shellydinger said...

Favorite post ever! I'm so impressed, you must feel like the worlds best mother. I really think you should find a frame for the "help others" "Obey" and "Love" they are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Really cute Jess. Good job both of you!! :)

**KT

jessica said...

I wish that John and I could take the credit...unfortunately Ains is just one of those kids that seems to teach herself.

Colleen said...

that is awesome. i love how kids brains are sponges and soak up everything. it keeps us on our toes. what a smart cookie.

mama donk aubri jo said...

very impressive! i love the no food in heaven part, that was funny :)

Dinger said...

Wow! Everyone has already said everything I was thinking...But I will say that this is exactly what got me into teaching. My mom would encourage me to do the same thing. Way to go Ainsley, and way to go Jess and John for encouraging her to do this on her own!!

Aimee said...

WOW....I am very impressed! Tell her when we come up to visit....I want her to prepare a lesson for me and Tyson! :)