Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome 30!

I had a great birthday yesterday. People keep asking me if I'm having a hard time turning 30, but actually I've been feeling the opposite. I'm ready for the thirties. The 20's were fun in a lot of ways, but really hard in others. It was 10 years of moving constantly and having a million firsts. First baby, first house, first "real job," first marriage (I'm so funny), for me it even included a first kiss (that's really embarrassing to admit). With the 30's will come stability. I won't be a poor college student anymore. I will most likely only move once. I won't have to experience being a first time mother again (that was not fun!). The twenties were full of excitement and new things, and I must be getting old, because I'm ready for the calm after the storm. Being settled doesn't sound all that bad.

And on to my birthday fun...I actually had several days of birthday. I deserve it, I am 30 after all. On Saturday we got together for dinner and games with some friends (this actually had nothing to do with my birthday, but I'm going to count it because I didn't have to make dinner and it makes my list that much longer :), on Sunday my Sister in Law invited my family over for a delicious dinner so that I would get to have another night of not cooking! Lucky me! On Monday some friends took me out for dessert. And on my actual birthday John took the morning off so that I could sleep in. Although, sleeping in like this hardly counts... (please ignore my crazy face and greasy skin and just admire my courage for posting this picture.)
John made me breakfast pizza for breakfast and had it ready the minute I stepped in the door from the gym. I had an easy morning, visited with friends in the afternoon, and I got to assemble my yummy, same as last year cake, (John even baked the cakes for me the night before).
John made dinner. My family visited. John got me a sewing machine, which I am totally excited about! I didn't get a picture of it but I will be sure to post all of the amazing things I make with it....when I figure out how to thread the darn thing. Luckily the machine came from a specialty shop and so I get to go to a free beginners class.

But I think the best gift of the night was probably the frame that Syd gave back to me. It was a hideous frame that John and I were given for our wedding.
I had forgotten what had happened to it and thought it was gone forever. But no, Syd had been hanging on to it all these years, and now I can do something special with the weird hairpin frame!
And just to keep the party hoppin' John will take me out on a date this weekend, since it just didn't work out yesterday. Weekday b-days can be sort of a bummer that way.
Thanks for all the calls and cards and such! They all made my birthday great!

11 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Yeah for being thirty!!! I was ready for it too!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. That cake looks delicious!

SD and EJ said...

Happy birthday! Did you get the message I left on your phone? I'm glad you had such a good day. You make turning 30 sound fun! And, don't worry, I had my first kiss in my 20's too.

The Marshall Family said...

Hey...I got you that frame! ha ha!
Sounds like you had fun, one month till I am no longer in my twenties - I really don't care either, because I am still having fun!

Aimee said...

I am glad you had a fun birthday! And tell John that the cake looks DELICIOUS!!

mama donk aubri jo said...

happy birthday!!! yummy cake!

mama donk aubri jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

happy birthday. it sounds like it was a good one for you. welcome to the thirty club. it is the best.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about your sewing machine too. What kind is it?

Sheri said...

Happy Birthday, Jess!!! : ) Sounds like you've had lots of fun and I love your attitude!
Sheri B.

Karalenn Hippen said...

Crap. Crap. Crap. I'm so so evil. I can't believe I forgot your birthday too! How in the world did that happen? All month long I was thinking to myself not to forget and then I did. Dang. SOrry Jess. I like 30 as well. It wasn't hard in the least. I still don't know why turning 23 was the hardest. I was sure 30 would be bad, but it's great. :) I need to give you a call.

Karalenn Hippen said...

P.S. Didn't I give you that frame? I didn't know you hated it. It totally seemed like you and John to me. hahaha just kidding. I hope the person that did give it to you doesn't read your blog.