Sunday, February 8, 2009

Words to live by...

We had stake conference today. Elder Costas (?) of the seventy was visiting the area and spoke to our stake. I loved his talk. I think I loved it so much because his message hit home. He was such a happy person. You know, the kind of person that you can just tell are perfectly content and truly happy.

He spoke of growing up and being newly married. Being POOR and having faith. He spoke of spending time with family. He told about the hours that his family would spend in the kitchen, just talking and being together. I think that the thing that hit me the hardest was when he made the list of all the things that we replace family time with: sports, movies, TV, internet...and the list went on. Why is it so hard sometimes to focus on the people we cherish the most. Why are the relationships with our families often overlooked. Okay, maybe I shouldn't include others in this, but I know it definitely applies to me. I realize that I'm often more willing to go out of my way for friends and ward members than I am for my own family, and shouldn't it be the other way around?

He also talked about how even as a poor boy, he knew he was rich because he had love in his family, he knew his god, and he knew he was loved. It all seemed so simple. I guess it is all that simple. We really don't require much in order to have true happiness. So that is my post, nothing exciting, maybe even kind of boring. But, something I want to remember.

3 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Good post. It's good to remember stuff like that!

shellydinger said...

I can really appreciate that. It came at a perfect time in my day. Thank you for sharing.

Sheri said...

Hey, Jessica! I hope you're doing well. I just love to be able to stay caught up with you a little bit by checking out your blog. : ) You're as great and fun as ever.