Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My morning and a realization..

This morning I woke up to an awful stench.

I was up for 2 hours tossing and turning from about 3:00-5:00 last night. So when Owen got up this morning John got him some juice and turned on the TV so I could get some sleep.

Fast forward an hour and Ainsley is in my room asking for breakfast, and Owen is telling me it stinks. I walked into the kitchen smelling something burning. I immediately checked the stove and the toaster. Then I looked in the microwave to discover the breakfast Owen had tried to make himself. He got out a packet of instant oatmeal, added a drop or two of water and put it in the microwave. By the time I found it the top was charred, the kitchen and living room were full of smoke, and the the house seriously reeked (how do you spell that word???).

Sorry the picture is so blurry. It was taken in haste. It gives you the idea though.
While I was trying to clean up melted plastic and a yellowed microwave Owen started crying because it smelled so bad. He cried for a good 30 minutes while plugging his nose.
We opened all the doors and windows. Ainsley then started crying because of the smell. Surprisingly enough, I was the only one that kept it all together. Shocker! Our house still smells, but I think Owen will leave the microwave away now. (We've been trying to break him of this habit for a while now.)

And now onto my realization...

I realized after my rant yesterday that part of the problem is me. So many people commented and said they wished they lived closer so they could help me. But the truth of it is, you probably wouldn't help me because I wouldn't let you. I have so many great friends who call to check up on me regularly to see if there is anything I need. I've let someone do something for me once. I was called out of the blue by 3 different people yesterday after my trauma. Just to see how I was doing, if they could take my kids, if I wanted to get out of the house, if they could run to the store for me. I realized yesterday (most likely because my sobs were hard to hide on the phone) that it's okay to ask for help. Ains went to a friends house, and while I wouldn't let another friend go to the store for me, I did go relax at the park with her. The break was nice.

I don't know why it's so hard to let people do things for us. I don't think I'm alone in this. I still hesitate to let anyone do anything major for me. But I am sincerely going to try to ask for more help and take it when it is offered. At least for the next few weeks...then we'll see.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

Thank goodness my microwave is too high for the boys to reach (for now). I was laughing so hard at the picture of Owen holding his nose and crying. Classic.

Elizabeth said...

Ii'm proud of you for your realization! I haven't come to it yet, but I probably will once the baby comes and I feel completely overwhelmed!

Kohl said...

It is o.k. to let someone help you out. I was thinking about how silly it was to have people bring me food after having a baby, but then I realized that they want to serve me and I need to let them do that service. It is great to have people willing to help you out even if you think you don't need it!