Saturday, November 27, 2010

A whirlwind of a weekend

Thanksgiving was pretty predictable this year. We did the ordinary. You know, the stuff every family does for Thanksgiving.

Like hang out with the visiting dog.
Wrestle with grandpa before dinner.
Show up to a house with a beautifully decorated table that you had no part in.
Eat and eat and eat and eat. Maybe that is how I managed to gain 8 pounds in 3 days. (Luckily I lost 9 in the following 3.)
Sit idly by while someone else cleans off the turkey carcass. Syd is really good at this. The cleaning not the sitting idly.
And then for the first time in my life...yes the first time in my LIFE....I participated in black Friday shopping. I went out with my mom and sisters. We started around 4 (a.m. in case you were wondering) and shopped all day. I was practically done Christmas shopping so I really had no expectations. So for me the day was a huge success. I didn't buy that much. In fact, I found it ironic that I was the one who dragged everyone out at that miserable hour and yet I was the one who bought the least. After 8+ hours of shopping without food breaks we went to the Olive Garden for lunch. I then came home for a break (by break I mean I came home and vacuumed and did dishes and balanced the check book) and then I headed out again because I realized our checking account was only at -$39 and I thought I could get it lower than that!
And then the next morning, after a long night of restless kids, I finally got a nap. I was exhausted...do I look exhausted????? (Also, feel free to use this picture as a clue for something I might need for Christmas. And not to sound picky...but they have to have soft soles...no rubber....just in case you were still trying to decide what to get me.)
If you look closely you can see that I still look exhausted in this picture. It might be that due to the shopping. Or the sheer craziness. Or possibly the haggard look remained because I had placed priority on attempting sleep rather than showering or doing anything else to make myself look pretty. Or perhaps is was because getting out the Christmas decorations always ends up being a much bigger disaster than it should. We may never know.

But several days later I am now back to my normal tired self. And we're back on schedule. Although I'm already looking forward to Christmas break. I really enjoyed having the kids home and getting to go do a few fun things without having to worry about a schedule.

2 comments:

shellydinger said...

My first thought was "I can't believe they got a dog!". I was a little disapointed to read it was only a visitor. I love the picture of you on the couch.

Anonymous said...

I almost went out on Black Friday too. At the last minute I chickened out and slept that day till about 9, thanks to my hubby. The holidays are so exhausting now!

**KT