Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Being a parent is hard!!!

On a positive note: Last night I decided to try more positive reinforcement with Owen. In his defense he was very tired yesterday (since he insists on waking up at the crack of dawn). So today I told him we would go do something special while we were running errands. I almost took it away from him after how he acted at the first store, but we went anyways. His activity of choice was to get a doughnut at Krispy Kreme. So we went and got a doughnut and had a chat. I didn't think it meant that much to him, but the first thing he said to Ains when she got in the car after kindergarten was, "I got a doughnut!" I'm hoping that a few more special Owen activities will help break this mean streak.

On a sad note: On Monday Ains told me that she is walking around alone at recess and has no one to play with and kids are running away from her when she asks them to play. I'm not sure what is actually happening since her versions of things can still be a little skewed. But it still breaks my heart. So we planned a play date with a friend of hers yesterday and we talked about how to make friends. And now I'm just hoping it all works. But reports thus far have been good.

On a funny note: Today while shopping I was trying on a shirt in the dressing room Owen declared, "Mom, you look modest!!!" He said it in the same tone as if he was saying I looked pretty. I'm not sure that he even knows what modest means. But the lady in the dressing room next to me sure got a good laugh this morning!

4 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Being a parent is definitely hard, but I think being a little kid is rough too. How in the world someone wouldn't want to be friends with Ains is something I don't understand at all. She is the coolest kid I know.

And I'm sure Owen will turn out to be a quality person with lots of friends. At least he already appreciates modesty. :)

Lisa said...

my girls have gone through the same thing at recess. your doing the right thing to teach her how to go up and join other groups of girls and to make bonds with friends outside of school. it doesnt get any easier im afraid as they get older!!

Dinger said...

Being a parent really is hard. The whole recess thing breaks my heart, but I think every kids goes through it at some point. . .maybe not John, but most normal people do!! The month of May will be a challenging month for us too as we watch Maddie suffer through a painful surgery and be confined to a wheel chair for most of the summer, I would trade her if I could!!
P.S. Way to be modest!!

Elizabeth said...

I've always been impressed with your modesty ;)