Friday, April 30, 2010

Generally Speaking

As a general rule, I am a bit of what some might call cheap, tight, frugal, etc. I'm always the first to turn down extra spending because it will make us go over our budget. We don't go on dates, we rarely go out to dinner, we never pay for sitters, clothing is only bought when it's a necessity, etc. I force us to get by on less. I'm great at getting things done cheaply. And I'm usually okay with my limited amounts of spending money (sort of). Occasionally however, I get tired of it. And I'm suddenly okay with spending waaaaay too much money. However, if you asked John I'm sure he'd say that my crazy spending is how normal people live.

My spending moods work to John's benefit. He is the spender of our marriage. I think every couple has a spender and a saver...it makes things work well. So when I get in one of these moods, suddenly we start shopping for things we should never buy. And somehow we (okay, I) just start buying. It's like I have pent up aggression from living so frugally and I suddenly burst.

I am currently in one of those moods. I'm a little nervous to balance the check book, because I know that I have already spent all of May's spending money and it's not yet May. John has also convinced me to start shopping for new TV's. I'm headed to the RC Willey parking lot sale tomorrow to see if they have any good deals on TV stands. I'm also looking for furniture for my kids rooms...since their furniture is for the most part garbage. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a car.......

That last one might be going a step too far, but one never knows what will happen when I get in one of my moods!

And also, FYI: Things have been going much better for Ains at recess. She has made efforts to play with different friends and had a great week. Here's to hoping that's the last of her friend trouble (although I know it's not).

5 comments:

EJ said...

Do it, do it, do it! I LOVE spending money. Too bad I don't have any to spend. EJ always gives me a hard time about it, but I just tell him it's not like I buy expensive things. I just spend $50 here and there. We won't think about how $50 here and there adds up to a couple hundred. That's not important.

And I bet because you're so frugal most of the time, you really aren't hurting anything by going on spending sprees occasionally.

And EJ's advice about the TV is go for a big screen. :)

Dinger said...

I seriously can relate. Dan caught me looking at the "homes for sale" section in the news paper today. . .not good!!! Although, it was sort of planned, because Dan will start making cool upgrades to the house just to keep me from wanting to move. I often look at new homes (not planning on moving of course) just to get Dan to paint a room in my current house.

Kohl said...

I read your post thinking you were writing about me! I am so the same. I try so hard to be good about spending, but then sometimes I go on a spending spree! Glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this problem! Have fun shopping! :)

Anonymous said...

I seriously know someone who recently spent their inheritance of 17K, in less then a year on "nothing". They have nothing to show for it......spent on random little dumb things like eating out. Unbelievable. Not sure what this has to do with you...but your post made me think of it. ha ha ha.

**KT

Alene said...

John is right, I think--that is the way normal people are--frugal then pow! I know that's the way I am.