Sunday, April 25, 2010

Well that was a mistake.

While we are blessed to live in a great neighborhood and have a great ward, we have not had super neighbors. The only other kids on our street only live here part time (with a grandma or their dad). So when a family moved into the house across the street with 2 little boys I got a little excited. John went over a few weeks ago and introduced himself and learned that the dad was the new anchor for Fox News, and their boys were 6 and 4. Sounded like a great family to get to know to me.

So yesterday I finally went over to introduce myself. I approachedthe mom after she finished yelling at her son...

And the following things happened-----
  • We had a 45 minute conversation (during which I said about 5 words)
  • There was much more yelling by her (at her kids, not me)
  • I received an invite to come have a glass of wine with her every afternoon at 4:30 to take the edge off
  • Her son came into our house and attacked Owen after Owen told him that he couldn't be in our house because he hadn't asked me.

After all of this happened I started regretting going over. Especially after she told me how she was so excited to meet another stay at home mom and couldn't wait to hang out all the time. (Although she's a stay at home mom, her boys are both in daycare a few days a week....boy I'm judgemental).

I was a little disappointed. I've been feeling like we need to branch out and be friends with more people in our neighborhood who aren't members of our church. But now I'm really nervous about ever talking to this woman again. I guess maybe I should be grateful that they're just renting.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Take her up on her 4:30 offer! JK! Sorry you don't have a bosom buddy on your street. Maybe you can invite her over for a 4:30 jello salad.

EJ said...

EJ just said the lady sounds like she should be on Desperate Housewives.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't really have any friends, so unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. :)

Alene said...

I was in a similar situation in Indiana, except that the lady would ask me to babysit her son so she could go meet her husband for a drink. At least I was helping the marriage! The lady on the other side of me was the yeller. Oh my goodness--you've never heard such language. But she spent a fortune on baby clothes and since she wasn't having any more kids, she would give many of her really cute little girl clothes to me because Melanie was about a year younger than her little girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Word. That is crazy. Hmmmm.....that's about all I've got for ya...sorry no advice. I think you should take Liz's advice. ha ha ha

**KT

shellydinger said...

Keep your distance:) It sound like it could get messy. What did you say when she invited you? I think I would have just laughed. Hurray for Owen sticking to the rules though.

Lisa said...

oh darn thats too bad it turned out like that esp. after our walking you sounded excited to meet them. oh well, you reached out and did your part... you never know when you need to borrow a cup of sugar and then go hide from them :)