Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So what am I missing....

I'm sure there is some magical way to raise little boys that I am unaware of. I know lots of mom's say that their little boys are rough, socially clueless, etc. But sometimes I feel like Owen will never mature into a semi-normal adult. I'm sure I'm ruining him somehow.

Currently I worry that Owen will never have friends. Because if he treated me the way he treated his friends, I wouldn't want to play with him more than once. He never really plays. It's more like he bosses, hogs, bullies, and tries to show his friends everything he owns, and then wants to sit and eat.

Today has been one of those days where I have been yelling at Owen all day. Literally. All. Day. I feel bad doing it. But what do you do when he's so rough he's constantly hurting his little sister, and so annoying that I feel sorry for his older one.

I'm pretty sure today has been rough because I recently told John that I occasionally saw glimpses of Owen learning to be kind......apparently I spoke to soon.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry!! Everyone says that raising boys is easier than raising girls, but with all the baby girls around Davis, I can say that he is harder at this age than any of them. I have already dubbed him the nursery bully, and he's only 11 months! He likes to crawl all over the other kids and take their toys... So I hope you figure out how to break Owen so that you can teach me when Davis gets to be his age!

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, Jessica, I can totally relate. My girls are harder emotionally, but my Connor is so darned naughty. And naughty in such a "boy way" like you described. The rough play, the teasing etc. UGH! And Connor is my one with a really tender heart. So, what's up with that? It really must be a phase. I TRY really hard to ignore the boy behavior and really praise him for his good behavior. Easier said than done, though, huh?!?!?

Aimee said...

You should read the book The Good Son by Michael Gurian. It's really good and it helped me to see how little boys brains work. There is a chapter that is devoted to 18 mos to 4 yrs old that I really enjoyed reading. IT REALLY HELPED ME!! Seriously Jess.....you need to read it! Hang in there.....boys are hard but can also be very fun! I remember feeling very frustrated with Tyson. :)