Saturday, April 17, 2010

A bunch of little things that I should have written down but haven't yet...

A couple of weeks ago it was read week at Ainsley's school. They got to dress up each day. On the last day they got to dress up like the character from a book. Ainsley chose Fancy Nancy. She looked pretty cute. Although in this picture you can't see her fancy hair do. But trust me, it was fancy!

Ains and I took a trip to the eye doctor last week. I needed a new prescription and she needed a check-up. Turns out my eyes hadn't changed as much as I thought. The doctor cautiously told me at the end of my exam that he thought I might have had the wrong contact in one of my eyes. Embarrassing! But I still am not sure he was right because I still have one contact left in each box for each eye. So, weird and embarrassing.

Ainsley on the other hand still needs the same prescription. But one of her eyes is significantly worse than the other. This guy felt like it was bad enough that we should put a patch on her other eye for an hour a day and see if it strengthens her weak eye at all. We shall see. We'll go back in 4 months for a follow up exam. Until then, she's our little pirate.

(Pics of us in our new cute glasses coming soon!)Emmie is officially 5 months old. When each of our children turn 5 months John gets antsy to feed them. I'm always slow to feed my children food, I figure they're fine without it. In my opinion the introduction of food is overrated. Because once a baby realizes they can eat food, soon they expect to eat food, and feeding a baby food is messy, and takes a long time. So I put it off as long as possible. John on the other hand thinks it's exciting.

So last week while I was gone at a meeting he and Ainsley fed Emmie her first food. Rice cereal. Although my doctor skeptically told me that the national pediatric people (I don't remember what they are called) have recently changed their minds and no longer feel that rice cereal needs to be the first food introduced to a baby. Apparently now you can introduce whatever food you would like first. I was thinking hot dogs would be a fun change!
My main concern here is how close Emmie is to the edge of the counter (she looks a little concerned herself)...push her back a little John!
And a funny little story about Owen. Owen is incapable of playing by himself. Unless it's TV or wii. This kid definitely does not have the imagination of his sister. But what he lacks in imagination, he makes up for in cleverness.
I was annoyed this week by his hovering after I made him turn the TV off. And Ainsley was at school so he had no one to entertain him. So, I told him that his job for the morning was to find a game to play by himself. Cars, blocks, WHATEVER....I didn't care. So while I was in the bathroom getting ready he came in and announced that the was going to have a tea party. As I was thinking to myself, "Seriously Owen, a tea party? Could we choose a more masculine game?!" Owen announced that since he had chosen tea party he needed some snacks....ah ha! The game suddenly made sense. He had his spread of chocolate chips, water, and animal crackers on the table. He out smarted me. If I was going to make him play by himself. He was going to find a way to do what he really wanted to do...eat!

And a few more things that made me laugh this week....

A few days ago I overheard a conversation between Ains and Owen where Ainsley was explaining that dolphins were just baby whales.

Ainsley was having a hard time figuring out how to write "this morning". I finally realized that she thought it was "the smorning". Which reminded me of when I was little and thought breakfast was breakdust.

Owen and Ainsley have also been really into the Chronicles of Narnia movie lately. But what is funny is that they each choose a character or two and act out the battle scene at the end. Owen is always Peter and Ainsley character always varies. I love watching it and would love to capture the action on camera, but Owen gets angry if he so much as notices that I'm looking at him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree on the feeding babies food thing! Just nursing them is so. much. easier.

And um yes: scoot her back!!

**KT

Brooke said...

Two things-
Of course Ainsley was fancy nancy because you are my fancy friend.
B- Did you tell Ainsley that Dolphins aren't baby whales, they're gay whales?

jessica said...

Brooke that's exactly what John said when I told him about the conversation!