Monday, September 13, 2010

Soccer

We signed the kids up for soccer this year. Ains has had a couple of practices thus far. But Saturday was Owen's first day and Ainsley's first game.

Owen didn't make the age cut off for regular soccer so we signed him up for a program that is basically soccer drills directed by a coach and you play with your parent. Each kid gets a shirt and a ball. Owen thought it was great.


Until it ended and he had to watch Ainsley's game. My favorite part of Owen's "soccer" was about half way through when a dad marched off the field with his daughter that did not want to be there and said, "We have to be here because your mom says we have to be here!" I'm not sure where they went, but they never came back.

Ains did great at her game. I must say that I was very impressed with her. Unfortunately she inherited her parents coordination. At her practices she has been a great little cheerleader. So much so that I thought I had signed her up for the wrong sport. We had to have a talk after her first practice about not trying to coach your team while your coach is coaching your team. And about not cheering while your coach is talking.

Here is Ains demonstrating her signature thumbs up pose. A classic. Ains did surprisingly well. She made a goal right off the bat and got in there and played hard. She played 3 quarters and ran the whole time. We could tell she was tired and had a side ache but she kept playing. She volunteered to be the person that watched the goal (there is no goalie) and I think that threw her off a little. She kept feeling like she had to be in the back of the field. So even if she had the ball she would only run to a certain point on the field.

I was very proud of her! Such a little go getter during her first soccer game ever!

8 comments:

SD and EJ said...

Ains looks so cute and big in her uniform. I love when kids play soccer. That's awesome that she made a goal.

And that dad at Owen's practice made me laugh. :)

shellydinger said...

My parents had to bribe me with candy or make threats to get me to go on the field when I was a kid. So I loved the Dad comment. I also think that the girl next to thumbs up Ainsley looks hilarious! At least Ains looks like she's having fun :)

Anonymous said...

Ya, the girl laying on the ground is classic. Glad Ains did so good! We are doing soccer too. . . I'll blog it one of these days. It's been fun.

**KT

Alene said...

Ains and Owen both look so cute. And John is definately the best-looking Dad out there.

SD and EJ said...

My mom's comment is hilarious because I was looking at all the dads to see which of them was the best looking too. John is definitely in the top, but the guy on the end looks kind of attractive.

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessica said...

FYI the Dad that left is the dad that's standing to the right of John. And steph, what is most hilarious about you and your mother checking out other men is that you can barely see any of their faces in that pic. And I agree, he is the best looking...except for the guy on the right...totally kidding!!!

Alene said...

I don't have to look at the others. I already know my kid is the best looking. But I'm sure anyone who does look will agree with me.